Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread
This Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread recipe makes a fluffy, tender pumpkin bread loaf swirled with rich, fudgy chocolate layers.
Pumpkin Bread is a fall staple in our home. I fell in love with pumpkin bread when I started baking in college. You can grab a slice as you’re running out the door, or you can tuck a slice into your lunch box. Enjoy it with a cup of afternoon tea, or with some hot cocoa after dinner.
Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread is a Quick Bread
Quick breads are breads that are prepared with leavening such as baking soda or powder, rather than yeast. There is no rise time or kneading of dough. Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread is part bread, part cake.
Drop everything into your bowl and give it a stir to combine. You don’t even need to get your mixer out for this quick bread recipe.
Can I make these into pumpkin muffins?
To make Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread into muffins you can bake them in standard size muffin tins for 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Two ways to make chocolate swirl in muffins:
OPTION 1: Prepare batter as directed. Line muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Drop in about 2 Tablespoons of pumpkin batter followed by 2 Tablespoons of chocolate pumpkin batter. Swirl with a toothpick before baking.
OPTION 2: Prepare batter as directed. Drop chocolate pumpkin batter by spoonful into the pumpkin batter. Give about 2-3 swirls with a butter knife (do not overmix). Drop 1/4 – 1/3 cup swirled batter into prepared muffin tin liners.
Looking for mini muffins? Try our popular no fuss Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins recipe. It’s a must-make every Fall!
Tips for making Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread
- Measure your flour in grams. We use an inexpensive kitchen scale to measure flour for baking. You’ll get consistent results every time!
- Egg substitution- you can substitute one whole ripe banana for the 2 eggs in this recipe.
- Oil substitution- any light-tasting oil will do in this recipe: canola oil, vegetable oil, or coconut oil. You will be able to taste the coconut oil.
How to Store Pumpkin Bread
Room Temperature Cool the pumpkin bread completely. Wrap in plastic wrap or keep in an airtight container. Enjoy pumpkin bread within 3 days.
Refrigerated Some people enjoy a cold slice of Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread! If you refrigerate pumpkin bread, (wrapped or stored in an airtight container) you can eat within one week.
Frozen Baked pumpkin bread can be frozen for up to three months. Cool the bread completely and slice into 12 portions. Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and place them into a large plastic zip top freezer bag before freezing. Defrost slices at room temperature as needed or warm up in the microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven.
Sweeten it up with a Glaze
My Pumpkin Spice Vanilla Butter Sauce would be a delicious addition to this bread if you prefer more of a cake taste.
Pour it on the loaf warm out of the oven. It will run down into all of the cracks on top!
Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups flour, (240 grams)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, (not the whole can!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, (115 grams) melted
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. GREASE and flour one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- WHISK together flour, baking powder, basking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, WHISK together brown sugar and vegetable oil. Add eggs one at a time, followed by pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- ADD the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. Stir until smooth.
- DIVIDE batter in half. ADD the melted chocolate to one bowl of batter; stir until incorporated.
- DROP alternating pumpkin and chocolate batter into your prepared loaf pan until you have used all of the batter.
- MARBLE the batter by gently swirling the tip of a knife through the batter 2 - 3 times.
- BAKE for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
- COOL in the loaf pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife along the edges of the pan to separate any remaining bread; turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Looking for More Pumpkin?
I love this Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Bread. Let me know if you try it!
Use Bisquick to make Pumpkin Drop Biscuits.
Addicted to Pumpkin Spice but want to save money? Try my Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup
These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are a great way to enjoy pumpkin on-the-go!