Chocolate Baked Alaska
This easy Chocolate Baked Alaska recipe starts with a frozen pound cake and is filled with a strawberry heart surprise in every slice. It is perfect for Valentine’s Day or a date night at home.
Baked Alaska dessert does not have to be difficult. You can use any base for the cake, homemade or store-bought. The best cake for Baked Alaska is whichever one you choose! This recipe is easily adapted to individual ice cream cups as well.
Chocolate Baked Alaska
Chocolate-covered strawberries are the epitome of easy strawberry desserts. This ice cream confection plays on that popular date-night theme.
Two layers of rich chocolate pound cake are sandwiched together with strawberry ice cream and topped with a luscious layer of toasted marshmallow meringue. Each slice of Chocolate Baked Alaska gets a strawberry heart-shaped surprise inside!
If you like this recipe, you will want to try our Neapolitan Pound Cake Baked Alaska recipe.
Traditional Baked Alaska Recipe
The traditional Baked Alaska recipe is said to have been prepared and served by a French chef to celebrate the purchase of Alaska from Russia by America in 1867. Although it is one of America’s oldest desserts, Baked Alaska is poised for a comeback.
In the Instagram and Tik Tok age of viral food, this truly is a showstopper. From the fluffy, toasted meringue to the heart-shaped surprise inside, every bite is picture-perfect.
How to Make Baked Alaska at Home
As you are enjoying more date nights at home, you may be looking for ways to move beyond pizza and ice cream. Fancy desserts do not have to be complicated.
- Begin with a frozen chocolate pound cake. Slice the pound cake lengthwise straight down the middle.
- Fill with strawberry ice cream and a layer of strawberries down the center before covering with more ice cream and the top layer of the pound cake.
- Freeze until ready to serve. Coat with meringue and toast with a kitchen torch.
How to Use Meringue Powder
When ready to serve, you’re going to make some meringue. There are a few ways to make the meringue.
The easiest method is to use a meringue powder that you whip up with sugar and water. You can find meringue powder at most craft and baking supply stores (like Michael’s and Joanne’s).
What other desserts are set on fire?
Other popular desserts that are set on fire before serving are:
Bombe Alaska is coated with high-proof rum before serving and flambéed tableside.
Baked Alaska is browned using a torch or broiled quickly in an oven.
If you do not own a kitchen torch, you can bake it in the oven. Be sure that the meringue covers the pound cake and ice cream entirely. The meringue acts as a barrier to prevent the ice cream from melting immediately. You will only be toasting the meringue for 1-2 minutes while keeping a constant watch over it.
Try toasting our Mile High S’mores Pie.
Can Baked Alaska be Prepared in Advance?
You can freeze the pound cake and ice cream for up to 3 months if it is wrapped tightly. We prefer to make the meringue and serve it fresh, but you could prepare Baked Alaska topped with meringue before you freeze and store it.
You will need ample space in your freezer to allow the meringue to freeze solid before wrapping the whole cake in plastic wrap. Otherwise, the meringue will stick to the plastic wrap and be messy.
Chocolate Baked Alaska
- 16 oz frozen pound cake, thawed, (such as Sara Lee)
- 3 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- 20 strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, or vanilla extract
- THAW the frozen pound cake for at least 10 minutes. SLICE lengthwise into 2 even layers.
- SCOOP half of the ice cream down the length of the pound cake. PLACE a row of sliced strawberries down the middle, and COVER with the remaining ice cream.
- TOP with the second cake layer.
- WRAP in plastic wrap and place back into the tin. Place in freezer until ready to use.
- COMBINE meringue powder, water, and sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. WHIP for 5 minutes.
- ADD flavor extract and whip for an additional 5-10 minutes. The meringue should be stiff but still spreadable.
- SPREAD meringue all over the pound cake or put into a piping bag with a large open tip and pipe all over the pound cake.
- Use a small kitchen torch to TOAST the meringue if desired. Alternatively, you can put it in the oven at 475 degrees F for 1-2 minutes (watch carefully through the oven window).
Savory Strawberry Recipes
Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries are another way to treat your Valentine this year, but not all strawberry recipes have to be sweet.