Sugar Cookie Bars
I’m back in the kitchen and I’m so excited to share this recipe with you! I knew that I would need a fairly simple recipe that I could make between naps and this one is perfect! Do you like sugar cookies but lack the hours it takes to cut them out and decorate them? Enter the Sugar Cookie Bar!! It is attractive, quick and easy to assemble, and very tasty. I made these pink and pretty for Valentine’s Day but the possibilities are endless with this simple recipe. I hope that you try it in your kitchen soon!
Sugar Cookie Bars- Valentine's
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter; at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, optional
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp. milk or heavy cream
- food coloring, if desired
- Prepare bars: In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt & baking soda. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Using your hands spread dough on a greased, rimmed baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). The dough will be just like sugar cookie dough- heavy & sticky.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening together until smooth and creamy. Mix in vanilla (and almond extract if using). Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until combined, then add milk (I like to use cream) & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Add a few drops of color, if desired. Spread over cooled cookie, then cut into bars.