Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
Homemade Oreo sandwich cookies with a creamy peppermint filling. GUEST POST by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Hey everyone, I’m Erin, and I am here with the cookies today! You may remember me, I shared Pumpkin Cake Rice Krisipie Treats a few months ago, while Katrina was out. Today I am here with a peppermint treat that is perfect for just about any holiday cookie tray. Normally I am over at Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts. I would love for you to stop over to say Hi. I have treats and fun giveaways all month long.
I had a cookie exchange last week with a group of friends. There are about 20 women who get together, and we each bring 3 dozen cookies (packaged in groups of 6). We then take turns going around the table, picking 1 kind of cookie each time, until they are all gone. You go home with a total of 3 dozen cookies, and have a great night chatting with friends. I made these peppermint sandwich cookies for the exchange. I am happy to say they were one of the first cookies that was gone from the table. Who doesn’t love peppermint this time of year?
Homemade Oreo’s are way easier than I ever thought they would be to make. The dough comes together in a food processor, and then you just chill it for awhile. I have tried a few different methods for getting circles out of the dough. You can roll it out and use a cookie cuter, like you would sugar cookies. You can have little balls of dough that you would flatten, kind of like chocolate chip cookies (just make sure you flatten them, they don’t change shape much in baking). Or you can do what I have come to find as the easiest. Shape the dough into a rope or log, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, however big you want your cookies. Then once the dough is chilled, you just slice the dough and put it straight on the baking sheet. Super easy!
Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 up cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 Tbls heavy cream
- In a food processor mix together sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the butter a few pieces at a time, with the motor running. Pulse to incorporate. Add the egg and vanilla. Pulse until the dough starts to form. Turn the dough onto a clean surface. Form into a log/rope that is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap, and let chill in the refrigerator for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Remove dough from the fridge and remove plastic wrap. Using a sharp knife, slice dough about 1/4 inch thick. Place dough on a lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes until set and cookies look dry. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- To prepare the filling beat together butter, vanilla, peppermint and salt until fluffy. Add sugar and beat until fully incorporated. Add milk 1 Tbs at a time and beat until the desired consistency.
- Spoon or pipe filling into the center of a cookie. Top with another cookie, pressing down gently to spread the filling to the edge.
This post is part of our Third Annual I’ll Bring the COOKIES Virtual Blogger Cookie Swap. Be sure to check back here every day in December leading up to Christmas where some of the best bloggers will be sharing their favorite cookie recipe! You can also follow along Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+ with the hashtag #BringtheCOOKIES. Thank you to OXO for being our exclusive #BringtheCOOKIES sponsor. Be sure to visit Erin’s blog, Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts to enter a sweet OXO Baking Prize Pack.