Treat the camper in your life to a chocolate cake. This Camping Cake is easily decorated, no special tools or skills needed!
I feel like we all know a “camper.” You know who I’m talking about- that one friend who thinks it’s a great idea to pay money to sleep on the ground. That friend in my life just happens to be my husband. In fact he’s really great at cyclocamping. He loads his bike up with all of his camping gear and food, rides hundreds of miles away, heats up some food over a fire, and then sleeps on the ground. Then he packs it all up and rides hundreds of miles home the next day.
My hobbies include making cakes.
I’m not a completely horrible person; I do like to support him by sharing in his interests. Just last week I went camping with him ON THE SIDE OF A CLIFF. And I also made cake.
Sooooooo I’m pretty sure I’m winning at being a wife.
Frost a 2 layer chocolate cake as the base. Here is the recipe for my favorite chocolate frosting. TIP: Break Kit-Kat candy bars in half to make it easier to cut into the slices of cake later. Grab the full instructions and printable shopping list as the end of the post.
Decorate this Camping Cake for the crazy camper in your life.
Or keep it simple. Either way it’s delicious!
- 2 layer chocolate cake, I used an 8 inch pan
- 10 standard size KitKat candy bars, the kind with 4 sticks*
- 1 graham cracker sheet
- 2 fruit leather sheets
- 1 piece of Laffy Taffy
- 1 Teddy Graham
- Chocolate candy rocks
- 1 Tootsie Roll
- 10 Oreo cookies
- Unwrap KitKat candy bars, break them in half, and place them in the freezer. Let them chill while you frost a 2 layer chocolate cake as the base. Chilling the candy will prevent fingerprints in the chocolate when you place them on your cake later.
- Here is the recipe for my favorite chocolate frosting.
- Press KitKat bars along the size of your cake.
- Break the graham cracker in half (you'll have 2 squares) and wrap with fruit leather. Press halves together to resemble a tent.
- Cut Laffy Taffy to the size of the Teddy Graham cracker. Place bear on top of the candy "sleeping bag" just outside of the tent.
- Roll/cut a Tootsie Roll into small logs for a fire. Place them into a small circle of candy rocks.
- Crush the Oreo cookies and spread them along the base of the cake.
Check out another fun recipe I made with chocolate rocks- Dirt Cake!
Items used in this recipe:
In Katrina’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
12 Comments on “Camping Cake”
Love all the variations, but I will take chocolate with chocolate and more chocolate any day!
Your cake is adorable. I love to camp (in a cabin!) but riding a bicycle to the camp? That’s pretty hardcore. I’ll stick with cake too =o)
This cake is absolutely adorable. Yup, we’re those people. We love camping and pay to sleep outside on the ground.
This is so fun!
Oh my gosh too cute! I love making kit kat cakes and this camping one is just cute as can be!
That cake is adorable!
I love camping but on the side of a cliff?? No bueno. But the cake looks delicious. And it’s so cute!!
Awesome you joined your hubby in his love of camping. And this cake. So fun!
Love the cake! I am with you. I am more of a cake gal than a sleep on the ground gal. We compromise with a cabin.
Omg, this is the cutest thing ever!
This is seriously so cute! I would’ve been so nervous sleeping on the side of that cliff! You scored major brownie points with that!
This is so flippin’ adorable! And as a lover of camping, I have to say that you would make any camper happy with this cake.