Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprints
Soft chocolate cookies filled with salted caramel frosting- these Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprints are the perfect holiday indulgence. GUEST POST by Buns in My Oven.
The holiday season is my husband’s favorite time of year. Not because of the pretty decorations (although, he does love to drive around and see the lights), or the gifts he is sure to get, or the songs that everyone sings off key with as much joy as possible. Nope.
He’s here for the cookies, y’all.
He usually skips breakfast in favor of a cookie and when our cookie jar is empty for more than a day or two, he starts getting pouty. It’s a good thing I like to bake. Between keeping my readers at Buns In My Oven happy with new recipes and keeping the man happy with plenty of cookies, I spend half my life in the kitchen.
I’m not complaining though, because it means I get to shove as many of these Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies in my face as often as possible. I love the soft chocolate cookie, but let’s be real. The salted caramel frosting is where it’s at. I would eat it with a spoon if I didn’t think people would judge me for it.
I hope you’ll add these little gems to your holiday cookie tray this season! They’ll be a big hit!
And a great big thanks to Katrina for letting me #BringTheCOOKIES! Love hanging out here at her fabulous blog with all of you pretty people.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprints
- For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Fleur de Sel salt, for sprinkling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until just combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes or until easy enough to handle. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and press your finger tip into the center of each ball to form an indention.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before filling.
- To make the frosting, beat together all of the ingredients (aside from the salt) with a mixer until light and fluffy. Pipe the frosting in to the indention of each cookie. Sprinkle with Fleur de Sel.
This post is part of our Third Annual I’ll Bring the COOKIES Virtual Blogger Cookie Swap. Be sure to check back here every day in December leading up to Christmas where some of the best bloggers will be sharing their favorite cookie recipe! You can also follow along Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+ with the hashtag #BringtheCOOKIES. Thank you to OXO for being our exclusive #BringtheCOOKIES sponsor. Be sure to visit Karly’s blog, Buns in My Oven to enter a sweet OXO Baking Prize Pack.
More delicious cookie recipes from Karly:
Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies
S’mores Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches
11 Comments on “Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprints”
what do you mean with caramel ice cream topping?
can i just use caramel icecream instead? 😀
Eek, no! You’ll get closer to 2 dozen. 🙂
Do you really only get 12 cookies to a recipe?
Jessica, I haven’t tried it myself, but I think it would work fine!
these look so good.. have you ever tried freezing them?
I can’t find Fleur de Sel. Can I use kosher or sea salt instead?
Yes that would be good
Sweet & Salty is where its at! 🙂 YUM-O!
I’m down with salted caramel anything 😉 these look addicting!
Salted caramel and chocolate? SOLD! Pinned these beauties!
I recently fell in love with salted caramel so I’m obsessed with these cookies!