Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies
These light and crisp Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies are full of rich sour cream flavor with a hint of nutmeg- the perfect snack with your coffee or tea. GUEST POST by Java Cupcake
Hello! I’m Betsy of Java Cupcake and I’m super excited to be sharing with you today an amazing cookie for “I’ll Bring the Cookies” event hosted by In Katrina’s Kitchen!
A little about me before we get to these fabulous cookies… I’m currently living in Germany where I’m taking care of my two fabulous children while my husband is serving with the US Army in Afghanistan. I’ve lived in Germany for almost three years now and am loving every minute of it! To keep me busy (or at least when my children allow me the free time) I love sharing recipes for fabulous baked treats on my blog, Java Cupcake! My goal at JC is to share recipes that every home baker could create and enjoy… nothing fancy or elaborate. Just delicious baked cookies, cakes, pies and cupcakes that your entire family can enjoy!
Like these Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies! I have to admit though, this recipe isn’t my own. It comes from my most favorite cookie cookbook… the 1963 Betty Crocker Cook Book! This is the cookbook that I grew up baking out of. The copy I have is so worn with splatters of cookie dough and chocolate… it’s fun to think back on all the amazing memories it has brought me. And some delicious cookies!
I love these Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies because they’re simple, yet really delicious. They’re a crisp cookie with a slight hint of nutmeg and they are full of rich sour cream flavor. They are really best when served with coffee or hot tea and can be dunked for a little bit of moisture. The coffee and the cookie together are so incredibly delicious.
I’m not lying when I say that I could probably eat half a dozen of these cookies with my morning cup of coffee! YUM!
Before I go, I want to send a big THANK YOU to Katrina for having me today for “I’ll Bring the Cookies”! It was really so much fun to share with you a little about me and a great cookie recipe! Enjoy! -Betsy
Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening, such as Crisco
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream and mix until just combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again until completely combined. Do not overmix.
- On a well floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut the dough with a 2" round cookie cutter and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each round of dough generously with sugar.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on the pan for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with coffee or hot tea.
- Store in an air tight container for up to a week.
This post is part of our Third Annual I’ll Bring the COOKIES Virtual Blogger Cookie Swap. Be sure to check back here every day in December leading up to Christmas where some of the best bloggers will be sharing their favorite cookie recipe! You can also follow along Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+ with the hashtag #BringtheCOOKIES. Thank you to OXO for being our exclusive #BringtheCOOKIES sponsor. Be sure to visit Betsy’s blog, Java Cupcake to enter a sweet OXO Baking Prize Pack.