Homemade Oreos and Santa Hats
The perfect chocolate homemade Oreo cookie sandwiched between fluffy frosting and decorated up with strawberry Santa hats- kids will LOVE this recipe! GUEST POST by Bakeaholic Mama
Hi In Katrina’s Kitchen readers! My name is Carrie and I am the writer, photographer and recipe developer behind the blog Bakeaholic Mama. I am a slightly crazy, busy, mom of of 5 (3 of the human variety and 2 barking ones). My blog is filled with family favorites both sweet and savory as well as the ins and outs of being a stay at home mom.
I have been a huge fan of Katrina’s for a couple of years now and was thrilled when she asked me to share a cookie recipe with you all today.
Oreo cookies are probably the one food my husband can not resist. My kids on the other hand are not a fan, they lick the filling out and toss the chocolate cookies. However…. when I make them from scratch they eat far too many of the cookies and the frosting.
I have tried making my own Oreo Cookies from time to time, they are always fab. However they do not taste just like Oreos. I have been on the hunt for a great recipe for a long time. Then last winter my sister-in-law made a recipe from Boston bakery owner, Joanne Chang. I guess she had visited the bakery before and fell in love with these cookies and then later went home to hunt down the recipe.
After one bite of her homemade Oreos, I fell in love too. They taste spot on but the texture is better and they are made with household ingredients and not some factory made junk.
After making a batch of Joanne’s Oreos I just had to decorate them… all in the holiday spirit right? They are so easy to make and they are for sure a kid pleaser…. I mean just look. My kids couldn’t keep their fingers off them as I was shooting the photos!
Homemade Oreos Recipe and Santa Hats
- Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ingredients for the filling topping:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbs heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 Strawberries with tops cut off for topping Santa hats, optional
- Sweetened coconut flakes for Santa hats, optional
- To start preparing cookies, melt 1 cup of butter and chocolate chips in a medium sauce pan over medium/low heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment mix egg, sugar, salt and vanilla extract together.
- Once combined, turn mixer to medium/low and slowly pour in melted chocolate and butter.
- Then mix in flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Once the dough is a sticky yet can still from a ball. Turn mixer off and allow to sit for one hour or until it starts to harden.
- Place dough on a large piece of parchment paper and roll into a log, packing it tight and keeping it wrapped in parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Slice thin cookie rounds off your log, place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325° F for about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. In the meantime prepare you filling.
- In your mixer cream 3/4 cup room temp butter with vanilla and salt until light and fluffy.
- Mix in 2 cups of confectioners sugar and milk and whip until smooth. If it is too loose go ahead and add a tad more sugar.
- Dollop a tbs of filling on the flat part of half of your cookies. Top with another cookie and sandwich together.
- To create Santa hats, dollop more filling on top and then top each off with a strawberry. Pipe a small bit of filling on top of your berries and then sprinkle with coconut flakes.
This post is part of our Third Annual I’ll Bring the COOKIES Virtual Blogger Cookie Swap. Be sure to check back here every day in December leading up to Christmas where some of the best bloggers will be sharing their favorite cookie recipe! You can also follow along Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+ with the hashtag #BringtheCOOKIES. Thank you to OXO for being our exclusive #BringtheCOOKIES sponsor. Be sure to visit Carrie’s blog, Bakeaholic Mama to enter a sweet OXO Baking Prize Pack.