Fruit Cake Cookies
Here we are at the end of our month-long cookie party and we are going out with a bang- Fruit Cake Cookies! I truly hope you will try this recipe or at least bookmark it for next year if you are already up to your eyeballs in sugar and wrapping paper. Let’s get to right to it- please welcome Brandy!
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy from Nutmeg Nanny and I’m super-excited to be sharing this tasty little recipe. When Katrina asked me to participate in “Ill Bring the Cookies” I was more than happy to say “yes!”
I was having a hard time coming up with what cookie I wanted to share but finally narrowed it down to this little gem. Now, I know that it has fruit cake in the title. Please don’t hate it immediately. It’s truly awesome.
Fruit Cake Cookies Recipe
- For the Cookies:
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots - chopped
- 1/4 cup candied ginger - chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest of one orange, I used two clementines
- 1 cup spiced rum, I actually used 151...I like the hard stuff
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup unfiltered apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 3/4 cup flour, add more if the batter does not look thick enough
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Brandy liquor for spritzing
- For the Rum & Clove Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons spiced rum
- Couple dashes of ground cloves, more or less depending on your love of cloves
- Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and sit overnight (it smells amazing the next morning!)
- Place fruit and liquid in a large pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combines dry ingredients and sift into cooled fruit mixture. Quickly stir in flour to create the cookies batter. Next stir in eggs, one at a time until fully combined. Then fold in nuts.
- Using a large 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop onto parchment lined cookies sheet. Leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 15 minutes until baked through. They will be a very cakey looking cookie.
- Let cookies cool completely and either dip or drizzle with rum and clove icing.
Wow! Thank you to Brandy for bringing the cookies. They are a work of art! Fruit cake never looked so good! It does not surprise me that Brandy brought a alcohol-soaked cookie; she is currently in the middle of a blog series called The 12 Boozy Days of Christmas. I know from personal experience what an amazing cook she is. I was so hyped up about her Carrot Cake Jam that she actually sent me some to sample (insanely good) just to shut me up. And she also sent along some Vanilla Honey Peach Butter. You see? Whining sometimes does pay off! 😉
|Click image to see all of the cookies shared.|
10 Comments on “Fruit Cake Cookies”
Thank you for this recipe. These cookies were delicious and a big hit with family and friends, even withe the fruitcake haters. Lol.This will definitely be one of my go-to holiday recipes.
I wanted to add that I used the Wilton brownie pan. It made the cutest little individual fruit cakes. It took the same amount of time to bake in the brownie pan as it did to bake the cookies.
Fruit cake cookies Wow, looks really taste, thanks for the recipe I think if my kids see this 100% they like it..
My recent post ×©××××ª SMS
I gotta try these out. What a list of ingredients in this! Whew!
I think the icing gets me more excited than all the goodies in the cookies!
I think this might be the only way I'd ever eat fruitcake. They look delicious! Great post!
My recent post Day 294 – Taco Pockets
wow these are so creative!
"Add rum and sit overnight" — right there, Im a fan 🙂
These look so good! My family made something similar when I was younger – minus the icing. Merry Christmas!! XOXO
My recent post Christmas Candied Popcorn
I got a similar package, and I agree, Brandy is amazing. These look so tasty!
My recent post Rolo Turtles
So excited to see how these turned out after the Instagramming! And also wowwwww Brandy, that's a heck of an ingredients list! 😉 Cookie overachiever!
My recent post Spinach and Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake
Brilliant! I wan these for breakfast!
My recent post Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies