Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies
Apple pie flavors without all the fuss! Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies have a sweet apple cinnamon filling in a buttery, flaky handheld pie crust. This is a sponsored recipe on behalf of the Ohio Poultry Association.
Homemade Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies
These hand pies are completely homemade from the all-butter pie crust to the warm, spiced apple pie filling, and the sweet powdered sugar glaze. You can of course use store-bought shortcuts in your own kitchen, but we suggest trying this recipe as printed with its simple ingredients.
If you’re craving apple pie, you will want to try this handheld version. We have many Amish communities near us in Ohio, and these are lovingly referred to as “Fry Pies.” But the best part is that you don’t have to actually fry these apple hand pies to enjoy the fall flavors! Try oven-baking these apple cinnamon hand pies or even baking them up in your air fryer at home!
You will Need
- Pie Crust: Our all-butter pie crust recipe uses 2 egg yolks. These egg yolks make the dough easy to roll out and handle.
Whether you’re making an apple cake or pie, large eggs are the best to use! If you don’t have large eggs, use this conversation chart to see how to substitute different sizes.
- Apple Pie Filling: Canned pie filling is so accessible that you may just stay with what you know. But we encourage you to try our homemade apple pie filling with warm spices and any variety of apples that you choose.
Ohio produces 50 different varieties of apples and is one of the top apple producers in the United States. Popular types of apples found in Ohio include Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, McIntosh, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala, and Fuji, to name a few.
Apple Hand Pie Variations
Dip the apple hand pies in a powdered sugar glaze as shown, or drizzle the glaze for a less sweet version.
Or you can leave the glaze off and sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking.
Serve with a caramel dipping sauce or sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving. Any flavor you like with apples can be enjoyed! Maybe even a thin slice of cheddar cheese on top for the brave. Apple pie with sharp cheddar cheese is a FAVORITE in the Midwest.
These mini pies bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Or try them in your air fryer at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies
For the Pie Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 egg yolks, **save the whites for egg wash later
- 5 Tablespoons water, ice cold
For the Apple Cinnamon Pie Filling
- 2 apples, approximately 2 cups peeled, cored, diced
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 egg whites
For the Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
Make the Pie Crust
- In a large bowl, WHISK together the flour and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two forks COMBINE the butter into the flour mixture. Continue to work the butter in until no large clumps remain. If you are working with your fingertips, do not allow the mixture to get too warm for the butter to start melting.
- In a separate bowl MIX together the egg yolks and ice-cold water.
- Slowly ADD the liquid mixture to the flour mixture reserving some of the liquid. As the dough begins to form add in the last of the liquid mixture as needed (you may not use it all). The dough is ready when you can squeeze a small portion of it with your fingers, and it stays together without crumbling.
- TRANSFER the dough to a floured work surface and work into two round, flat disks. The disks should be cohesive without cracks or dry areas.
- WRAP the dough disks in plastic wrap and CHILL for 30 minutes (or up to 2 days).
Make the Apple Pie Filling
- CORE, PEEL, and DICE apples. Set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, MELT butter. STIR in brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. ADD apples into the mixture.
- COOK apples for 5-10 minutes until softened but not mushy, stirring occasionally. Cooking time will vary depending on the variety of apples and the thickness in which they are sliced.
- SPRINKLE in the flour. Stir over low to medium heat until thickened about 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Assemble the Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface ROLL out the pie dough to 1/4 -1/8 inch thickness. Using a 4 inch pastry or biscuit round cutter, CUT dough into 12 circles. You may need to re-roll pie scraps to get 12 circles.
- PLACE 1 Tablespoon apple pie filling into the center of each pie crust circle. Using your finger or small pastry brush, RUB egg white around the edge of the circle. FOLD in half and PINCH the edges to seal.
- Use a fork to CRIMP the edges and seal completely. CUT a very small slit in the top of each hand pie to allow a vent for steam while baking. Alternatively, you could puncture the top of each hand pie with a fork.
- BRUSH the tops of each hand pie with egg white to allow for even browning.
- BAKE on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for 15-20 minutes. The lined baking sheet will make for easy clean up for any pie filling that seeps out during baking.
Prepare the Glaze
- MIX together the powdered sugar and milk, adding enough milk to make a glaze of desired thickness.
- DIP each apple cinnamon hand pie into the glaze. Allow glaze to firm up for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- If using refrigerated pie crust you will need 1 box with 2 crusts. Roll the crusts thinner than they come from the box to get 12 circles.
- When preparing the egg yolk pie crust, save the egg whites for brushing on top of the hand pies before baking- no waste!
- You can use store-bought apple pie filling. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
- Store in an air-tight container for 2 days, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Use any variety of apples for the filling. Using 2 or more kinds of apples will bump up the flavor and texture of the filling. Also, it's okay if a few slivers of apple peel are left on the apples.
- PREHEAT the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- SPRAY the hand pies with vegetable cooking oil spray.
- PLACE as many hand pies into your air fryer that will fit without touching.
- AIR FRY for 10 minutes until crusts are golden brown.