Rainbow Swirl Frosting
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract can be omitted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or whole milk (more or less added to desired consistency)
- gel food coloring
Prepare the Frosting
In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl for use with your handheld electric mixer, place butter and extracts. BEAT until creamy (at least 1-2 minutes).
ADD powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
ADD cream or milk 1 Tablespoons at a time, alternating with the powdered sugar.
MIX until smooth. Use more or less cream to reach desired consistency. (I like for it to be smooth enough to pipe through a piping bag, but still a bit more firm than typical store-bought frosting.)
ADD 2-3 drops of gel food coloring.
Pipe the Frosting
Transfer each color of frosting to its own small piping bag. Pipe long rows of each color onto a piece of plastic wrap.
Roll up the plastic wrap into a log shape and snip off the excess. Place the plastic wrap log into a larger piping bag fitted with an open star tip (such as 1M).
- You can omit the almond extract. Replace with vanilla.
- Whole milk or heavy cream will be okay in this recipe.
- Use more or less cream to reach our desired consistency.
Calories: 928kcalCarbohydrates: 120gProtein: 1gSugar: 118g