Best Chocolate Cut Out Cookie
Yield: 36 cookies
The best chocolate cut out cookie recipe that tastes like a rich chocolate brownie. No need to chill the dough, and the cookies don't spread. Enjoy them plain or iced!
- 1 cup unsalted butter cubed, slightly room temperature (not softened)
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening like Crisco, 48 grams, see notes
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar 300 grams
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 420 grams
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 65 grams, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder or instant coffee granules
PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F.
SIFT or WHISK together flour, cocoa powders, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
CREAM together cubed butter, vegetable shortening, and sugar 2-3 minutes until light in color.
STIR together eggs, vanilla, and espresso powder in a small bowl. ADD to the butter and sugar mixture until incorporated.
ADD flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time on low to medium speed.
CONTINUE mixing until dry ingredients are added, and the dough begins to pull away from the side of the mixing bowl (an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute). The texture should be the consistency of Play-Doh. Add 1-3 more Tablespoons of flour if needed.
ROLL out cookie dough to about 1/4 inch thickness on a floured or cocoa surface and cut into desired shapes.
BAKE at 375 degrees F for 7-9 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- FLOUR- It is most accurate to weigh the flour for consistent results.
- COCOA POWDER- We suggest using a combination of 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder.
- BUTTER- Cube butter and allow to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before mixing. The butter should be room temperature, not softened (meaning you should be able to make a small dent by pressing your finger into the butter, but not press straight through to the bottom).
- SHORTENING- Using a vegetable shortening, like Crisco, makes for a softer, more tender chocolate cut out cookie. If you don't want to use shortening, you can make an even substitution using 1/4 cup butter.
- SALT- The recipe suggests using unsalted butter. If you only have salted butter, you can omit the salt in the recipe if desired.
- ESPRESSO POWDER- Found in the baking or coffee aisle of most grocery stores. You can swap out with instant coffee granules in a pinch. It is okay to omit, but espresso powder adds a depth of flavor to chocolate baked goods.
- SOFT COOKIES- Bake at 375 F for 7-9 minutes
- CRISPY COOKIES- Bake at 375 F for 9-11 minutes
Calories: 142kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 2gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 43mgPotassium: 44mgFiber: 1gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 171IUCalcium: 10mgIron: 1mg