Christmas Cookie Frosting
Yield: 8 cups
I've been perfecting my Christmas Sugar Cookies (cut outs) for 20+ years. This is the Christmas Cookie Frosting recipe I use to top them!
- 1 Cup shortening such as Crisco (*see notes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract *nut allergies see notes
- 8 cups powdered sugar about a 2 lb bag
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream or whole milk (more or less added to desired consistency)
- Food coloring if desired
In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl for use with your handheld electric mixer, place shortening and extracts. BEAT until creamy (at least 1 minute).
ADD powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
ADD cream 2-3 Tablespoons at a time, alternating with the powdered sugar.
MIX until creamy. Use more or less cream (or whole milk) to reach desired consistency. (I like for it to be smooth enough to pipe through a piping bag, but still a bit more firm than typical store-bought frosting.)
ADD a 2-3 drops of gel food coloring if desired.
- You can omit the almond extract. Replace with vanilla.
- You can omit vanilla and almond extract and use 1 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Whole milk or heavy cream will be okay in this recipe.
- Use more or less cream to reach our desired consistency. For spreading with a knife you may want more cream, for piping in bags you may want a firmer frosting so you can use less cream.
- If you omit the shortening and decide to use all butter that is okay but the frosting will not crisp up and you will not be able to stack the cookies.
Calories: 748kcalSodium: 9mg