Soft Caramel Popcorn
There is something universal about popcorn. I don’t think I’ve met anyone who doesn’t like it in some form. Maybe it gets the star treatment from being a first I-can-cook-it-all-by-myself food for many kids. Popcorn is like a good pair of jeans: you can wear it plain or dress it up and it is still a winner.
This popcorn is dressed up and ready for a night on the town. Well actually it is probably best eaten on a night in watching a good movie with the family. Warning: you’re going to get messy (and you won’t care!).
Not only is this a delicious recipe but you are going to love me for this next tip. Okay, maybe you won’t think this is as cool as I did but I was pretty excited about it. Did you know that you can get microwave popcorn without all of the mystery ingredients?
Here’s what you need:
A brown paper lunch bag
1/3 cup of popcorn kernels
60 seconds in the microwave
That’s it! Put your kernels in the bag, fold over the top a few times and pop away! I found that 60 seconds worked in my microwave for about 1/3 cup of popcorn. You may have to play around with yours as microwaves vary.
Soft Caramel Popcorn Recipe
- 3 bags microwave popcorn, popped
- ½ cup (1 stick) of butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Pop popcorn according to directions. You are going to want to be sure to get ALL of the unpopped kernels out. I use a 2-bowl method. You’ll need 2 large bowls. Dump the popcorn into bowl #1. Give it a little shake and let the unpopped kernels fall to the bottom. Using your hands transfer the popcorn to bowl #2. This is best done in small batches. I usually complete one bag while the next bag is popping in the microwave.
- In a large saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup until melted and comes to a boil.
- Reduce to low/medium heat and add the sweetened condensed milk. Stir continuously for about 5 minutes. The longer you stir the firmer your caramel will be.
- Pour caramel over the popcorn and stir until incorporated. You will feel like it is not working at first but keep at it and the caramel will coat the popcorn.
- Some great add-ins would be nuts, M&Ms, pretzel pieces, or chocolate chips.
- Using my brown paper bag method I used 5 paper bags filled with 1/3c kernels each time
Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything