Mint Oreo Truffles and Cake Pops
Make these Mint Oreo Truffles with chocolate cake and cream cheese for a simple, sweet treat- perfect for gifting and holiday class parties.
Did you like my Homemade Thin Mint recipe? Well, I did! In fact I had meant for these truffles to be Thin Mint truffles but, well…you see…we didn’t have any leftovers so I had to improvise. Don’t feel bad for me though because Mint Oreos make me happy and the results were (in my husband’s words) “outstanding!”
I realize that most of you will be familiar with cake pops and cake balls and that’s what these are essentially. But would you rather eat a ball or truffle? Hence we have Mint Oreo Truffles.
I made some into cake pops mostly for Four Year Old Foodie. My husband was taking the rest to work and I wasn’t quite sure if a bunch of grown men would like to be sitting around munching on lollipops so I trufflized the rest. Yes I trufflized them. Wouldn’t life be sweeter if we could trufflize more things? Sigh.
For the pops I flattened out the dough instead of rolling it into a ball then I used my cookie cutter. I decided to double them up only because I couldn’t tell it was a shamrock otherwise. You can do whatever you like. And take this recipe and alter away…use chocolate frosting instead of cream cheese, use any type of crushed cookie, use no cookie, add extracts. Just do your thing and cover it in chocolate and people will surely eat it.
Following is my adaptation. If you want the classic cake pop/cake ball recipe go visit the queen of cake pops Bakerella. She is seriously amazing and the sweetest thing!
Mint Oreo Cake Truffles
Yield: 30-40 truffles30 minutes 30 minutes
Make these Mint Oreo Truffles with chocolate cake and cream cheese for a simple sweet treat- perfect for gifting and holiday class parties.
- 1 package Mint Oreos, Double Stuffed
- ½ of 9x13 prepared chocolate cake, cooled and crumbled (or one 9 inch round)
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz (2 Cups) melted chocolate for dipping (+ 1TBS shortening if needed)
- Sprinkles, extra chocolate for decorations if desired
- Bake cake according to package directions and allow to cool. I made mine the day before.
- Crush or use a food processor to pulverize Oreos. Make them as fine or coarse as you’d like it. I did about half very fine and half to small bits.
- Using your hands or fork crumble up about half of the cake and add to the Oreo crumbs.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mix until combined. If your mixture is too wet add more cake crumbs until you get a consistency that you can roll into balls.
- Roll into bite-sized balls. Set them in the refrigerator while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt chocolate and add up to 1 TBS shortening if needed (shortening will help thin chocolate out).
- Dip your Oreo cake balls into the chocolate and let the excess drip off. Set on parchment or wax paper to dry. Add sprinkles right away if desired.
- Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.
- You can omit the cake if desired and just use Oreos. If only using Oreos, decrease the amount of cream cheese to 6 oz.
Original recipe and images © In Katrina's Kitchen