Dark Chocolate Coffee Cake
Dark Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe – Moist coffee cake swirled and studded with dark chocolate
You already know that I live in a house full of boys. Last night I went into Target to grab a pack of paper towels and I came out with 2 inflatable lightsabers. I will probably be returning today to pick up a third one so that my husband doesn’t feel left out. Sometimes I just need to buy something pink or frilly to remind myself that I’m a girl. I grew up with brothers, I have sons, and my husband has a brother. Thankfully his brother is married now; I just love my sister-in-law. She is super crafty and makes me pretty notes and cards. One of her creations even showed up in my Instagram #shotofcoffee pictures this week.
This is a fun post because my internet friends and my real life friends came together for the love of coffee and also for a great cause. Head over to Dine and Dish or traceyclarkblogs to find out how snapping a picture of your coffee can make a difference in the [email protected] campaign.
Since schedules can be a little crazy I wasn’t able to get my friends together this week for coffee and cake but we did have a little virtual coffee party and they all sent me pictures of their favorite mugs. I just love the variety! Don’t I just have the greatest friends? I know that I’m a bit odd for taking pictures of my food all day but they were good sports and played along.
Of course I made something sweet for you too. This dark chocolate coffee cake is dense and perfect for your morning. And my house of boys certainly swoon over cake for breakfast. **Mom of the Year**
Dark Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 20 - 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Moist coffee cake swirled and studded with dark chocolate
For Coffee Cake:
- 2¼ teaspoons (one envelope) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (plus an extra pinch) of granulated sugar
- ¾ cup warm milk, 110° F
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for egg wash
- 8 ounces (1¼ cups) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
For Crumb Topping:
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
For Coffee Cake:
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle yeast and a pinch of granulated sugar over the warm milk. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the whole egg and the egg yolk. Add to yeast mixture, combining gently.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the flour and salt. Add the egg/yeast mixture and beat on low speed about 30 seconds.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment. Add 1 stick butter and beat until smooth and soft, about 10 minutes (dough will be sticky).
- Butter a large bowl or spray with vegetable oil.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface; knead a few times until smooth. Place in the buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place until doubled in volume, 1 to 1½ hours.
For the Filling:
- Combine the chocolate, granulated sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers until combined.
- Punch down dough. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to an 18-inch square.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash. Spread filling over dough, reserving ½ cup for the topping.
- Tightly roll dough like a jellyroll. Pinch seam to seal, and fold in half to bring ends together to form a U. Twist two or three times to “braid”.
- Butter or oil a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough to loaf pan and brush top with egg wash.
For Crumb Topping:
- Combine the powdered sugar, flour, and butter with your fingers until crumbly.
- Sprinkle crumb topping plus the reserved ½-cup chocolate filling over loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Drape plastic wrap over dough. Let stand in a warm place until raised by half, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake, rotating loaf pan halfway through baking, until golden, about 1 hour.
- Transfer loaf pan to a wire rack. Let cake cool completely before cutting.
Source: Martha Stewart