Rich peanut butter cream sandwiched between two layers of milk chocolate- Buckeye Bark! Make this quick version of the classic peanut butter buckeye balls for a crowd!
It’s that time of year again! There’s a chill in the air. Crowds of people are gathering. Families are divided. You know what I’m talking about… COLLEGE FOOTBALL!
Spending more of my life here in Ohio we root for the Buckeyes of course! And there is no shortage of creative buckeye recipes out there. While I like a classic buckeye ball candy I certainly don’t mind taking a shortcut and making this Buckeye Bark. Perfect flavor in half the time! And this is perfect for the holidays, as I’m sure most all Ohio families enjoy buckeyes at Christmastime.
These little Buckeye Bark bites (recipe below) are perfect for gift giving around the holidays or for setting out while you watch the Buckeyes WIN BIG! Of course you could take it a little further and use them as cupcake toppers or on these delicious Peanut Butter Buckeye Cheesecakes I shared in partnership with the Ohio Poultry Association.
We have been a peanut-free home for nearly 5 years now due to an allergy in our family, so sadly I had to prepare these somewhere else and didn’t even get to take any home. Do me a favor and eat a piece for me if you make them! Deal?
Yield: 24 pieces
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Rich peanut butter cream sandwiched between two layers of milk chocolate. Make this quick version of the classic peanut butter buckeye balls for a crowd!
- 4 Cups melted milk chocolate (I recommend chocolate discs)
- 1 16 oz jar creamy peanut butter
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet. Set aside.
- Melt half of the chocolate according to package directions and pour into lined pan. Spread the chocolate into an even thin layer and set aside to firm up (can be placed in the refrigerator or freezer if desired).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth. Set aside 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the peanut butter mixture.
- Press the rest into an even layer onto the chocolate layer. Use hands as necessary to flatten. Use remaining 1/4 - 1/2 cup peanut butter mixture to roll into small buckeye balls about the size of a dime.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and pour it over the peanut butter layer. Drop the mini buckeye peanut butter balls all over the pan. Set aside to become firm.
- Once chocolate is set, use a large knife to break up the bark into pieces. Store in the refrigerator.
- Packaged up pieces make great gifts
- Enjoy candy pieces on their own or use as cake or cupcake toppers
Original recipe and images © In Katrina's Kitchen