Rise and Shine Skinny Coffee Smoothie

Start your morning off with a Skinny Coffee Smoothie. Packed with bananas and coconut milk, these smoothies are vegan, dairy-free, and naturally gluten-free.

Skinny Coffee Smoothie Recipe (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)

I don’t always eat cupcakes for breakfast.

Sometimes I drink coffee.

Rise and Shine Skinny Coffee Smoothie Recipe

My son celebrated his 7th birthday this week and I totally had cupcakes for breakfast. More than once.

Here’s a fun fact: My kid didn’t even eat a piece of cake at his own birthday party. I made super – crazy – awesome Skylanders SwapForce cupcakes with green and blue frosting piled high, and I had to coerce him to pose for a picture with one.

Rise and Shine Skinny Coffee Smoothie

If you know me you know that I kind of pride myself on my buttercream frosting, so you can imagine my surprise when the following day I find my son eating an unfrosted cupcake. What? Yes. This actually happened in real life. My 7 year-old child chose an unfrosted cupcake over one with a perfect mound of frosting on top.

Rise and Shine Skinny Coffee Smoothie Recipe (naturally vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free)

Naturally I had to eat all the frosted, leftover cupcakes. When those ran out I returned to my usual cup of coffee routine. Except my usual cup of coffee is a splash of coffee with my cream and sugar. So I decided to add a few bananas and coconut milk for a more filling option. Throw in some Greek yogurt and use whatever milk your family drinks. Smoothie recipe rules are made to be broken.

And eat cake for breakfast. Sometimes.

Rise and Shine Skinny Coffee Smoothie

Total Time: 5 minutes

Start your morning off with a Skinny Coffee Smoothie. Packed with bananas and coconut milk, they are vegan, dairy-free, and naturally gluten-free.

2 bananas
1/2 Cup coffee, cold or room temperature
1/4 Cup coconut milk
2-3 Tablespoons coconut flakes (optional/if you like it sweeter)
handful of ice

1. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
  2. Garnish with flaked coconut or a swirl of chocolate syrup if desired.

• Sub in any kind of milk that you like in place of the coconut milk.
  • If you don't need to keep it dairy-free, you can add a few tablespoons of Greek Yogurt for protein.

Original recipe and images © In Katrina's Kitchen

24 Responses to “Rise and Shine Skinny Coffee Smoothie”

bridget {bake at 350} — January 9, 2014 at 8:47 am

skinny or not, I want it!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — January 9, 2014 at 9:36 am

I absolutely love this!!! Your way of doing coffee is awesome!!!

steph@stephsbitebybite — January 9, 2014 at 11:40 am

Oh this came at like the perfect time! After a 6 hour scream fest yesterday with my little guy, coffee might just be required today, but it’s so much yummier in smoothie form!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — January 9, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Love this idea! My mornings require coffee – that’s for sure!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 9, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Haha. Look at us being all healthy and dairy-free and vegan and all that stuff! :D

So funny that you had to force your kid to eat a cupcake at his birthday. Or actually, it’s kind of awesome, right? Better than being like me who basically lives off of sweets.

Nancy — January 10, 2014 at 5:11 am

The smoothie looks great!! Then it’s vegan, and gluten and dairy-free!!! I’m just starting down this road, so what a nice introduction! On top of all that, I can’t take my eyes off the pictures of your other goodies. Oh my! Love your blog!!

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 10, 2014 at 9:05 am

That’s awesome that you son would’t eat the cupcake. We put all this time and effort into it and they won’t even try it. I made a smash cake for my sons first birthday and he screamed every time I put it near him! Smh.
    Even though I don’t drink coffee…this drink has me thinking I’m totally missing out! I love the coconut flakes on top! :)

Jennifer @Making Our Life Matter — January 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Yumm. What a great recipe. Adding it to my beverage recipe list.

Kristy — January 11, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I freeze leftover coffee in an icecube tray and use that instead of regular cubes. Less watery! Also if you freeze bananas (sliced) then you don’t need to add ice!

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent — January 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I’m sure that he will will grow out of the no frosting stage.. if not its more healthy for him? Love this coffee smoothie, sounds perfect for breakfast.

Cailee @http://hellohealthyeating.com — January 12, 2014 at 10:41 pm

This looks amazing!! What a genius idea!! I love smoothies and I love coffee ice cream!! Haha, thanks for sharing… I hope that you have a great week!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — January 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I’ll take his unwanted frosting. Usually kids lick off all the frosting and discard the cake. Polar opposite. This smoothie sure would look good in my hand tomorrow morning. Great minds think alike.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — January 13, 2014 at 5:27 pm

This is my kind of morning smoothie! This needs to happen tomorrow morning!

Tamara Coleman — January 14, 2014 at 1:00 am

Yum! This sounds FANTASTIC! I love ice coffee and this sounds like a fun way to kick off my morning!

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake — January 16, 2014 at 5:00 pm

What a fun way to drink your coffee!

Ashley Bee @ Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine — January 16, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Mmm this looks like my dream coffee :)

Amy — January 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

looks amazing, I will definitely have to try it out!

Emily @ Life on Food — January 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm

This is my kind of coffee. That is really funny about your son. My mom always let us eat birthday cake from breakfast until it was gone as an ongoing treat for our big day.

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen — February 19, 2014 at 4:49 am

new reader here!! I have recently been drinking coconut milk iced coffee, so this treat sounds absolutely up my ally!!

• Katrina Bahl — February 21st, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you love the smoothie as much as I do!

Jelli — March 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm

This sounds great, Katrina! I agree completely with you about smoothie rules being made to be broken. I never use a recipe for my smoothies, but they almost always come out great… unless they’re green smoothies. Still working on getting the proportions right on that. Thanks so much for sharing.

Angela — March 4, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I’d like to know more about these Skylanders cupcakes as I am having a party for my son in a couple weeks. Were they gluten free?

• Katrina Bahl — March 5th, 2014 @ 9:37 am

Hi Angela. My cupcakes were not gluten-free, but I’m sure that you can find a recipe that meets your needs. We have a peanut allergy in our home, so I know what it is to find recipes that are a good fit for our family. Mostly my Skylanders cupcakes used the swirled frosting technique in white, blue, and green frosting. You can read my 5 Minute Fancy Frosting tutorial here: http://www.inkatrinaskitchen.com/2011/10/5-minute-fancy-frosting-giveaway.html

Alexis C — March 11, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Do you think this would work with the liquid of canned coconut milk? I need the cream for coconut ice-cream, but I’m hoping to use the liquid in other ways. Like this smoothie. :)