Grinch Cookies

These Cake Mix Grinch Cookies are so easy and festive they’ll be sure to put you in the holiday mood!

Cake Mix Grinch Cookies

Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot,
But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.
The Grinch hated Christmas — the whole Christmas season.
Oh, please don’t ask why, no one quite knows the reason.

Cake Mix Grinch Cookies

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be his head wasn’t screwed on just right.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.

Cake Mix Grinch Cookies and Popcorn

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before:
“Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store–
Maybe Christmas–perhaps–means a little bit more.”

Cake Mix Grinch Cookies

And what happened then–well, in Whoville they say
That the Grinch’s small heart grew three sizes that day.
And then the true meaning of Christmas came through,
And the Grinch found the strength of ten Grinches–plus two.

Grinch Popcorn

And now that his heart didn’t feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with his load through the bright morning light.
With a smile in his soul, he descended Mount Crumpet,
Cheerily blowing Who! Who! on his trumpet.

Welcome, Christmas, while we stand
Heart to heart,… and hand in hand.

Cake Mix Grinch Cookies

Grinch Cookies

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Cook Time: 8 minutes

These Cake Mix Grinch Cookies are so easy and festive they'll be sure to put you in the holiday mood!

1 box french vanilla cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
green food coloring, 1 drop
Confectioners (powdered) sugar for dusting
Sprinkles or candies, large heart-shaped

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. In the bowl of your mixer cream together cake mix, food coloring, oil, and eggs.
  3. Chill the dough for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Drop by Tablespoon into confectioners sugar and roll into balls.
  5. Place on baking sheet and press 1 large heart candy/sprinkle.
  6. Bake for 8 minutes until just set.
  7. Let cool 2 minutes on pan before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

• My son's class had a Grinch party at school and we whipped up these cookies in no time. For a Grinchy treat that comes together even more quickly you can pop a bag of popcorn and drizzle it with green chocolate candy melts. Sprinkle it with with heart candy sprinkles and let cool completely before enjoying.

Original recipe and images © In Katrina's Kitchen

Grinch Cookies

Merry Christmas, friends! ♥

Products used in this post:

This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. I include these links to help you find specific products that are used in recipes. If you purchase an item from Amazon from the link In Katrina’s Kitchen receives a small commission. Thanks!

53 Responses to “Grinch Cookies”

Leslie — December 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

These are so cute. I love the Grinch & I try to watch it at least 3 times during the holidays. I found your recipe on Pinterest, where I am a new follower. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 21, 2013 at 2:53 pm

These turned out SO cute!!

Stephanie — December 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Where did you find the cute red and green square bowls? Thanks.

Dalila G. — December 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm

How cute are these Grinch cookies?! *^_^*
    Need to rush out and buy me a couple of cake mixes so I can start baking!
    I have to agree with Stephanie…..where did you find those little bowls??

Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks — December 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm

You’re the cutest – I love this post! Awesome cookies :) Merry Christmas!!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — December 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I absolutely LOVE these cookies and this post, Katrina! Such a fantastic idea!

Sheila — December 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love these!! Completely adorable!!

Shellybee — December 24, 2013 at 12:13 am

Super cute cookie idea. My kids and I made these tonight and they were delish!

Dina — December 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm

these are so cute! great idea.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 1, 2014 at 4:06 pm

ADORABLE!

Nutmeg Nanny — January 3, 2014 at 8:55 pm

These are seriously so adorable :) such a cute idea!

Fructe uscate — February 17, 2014 at 11:33 am

It looks delicious..and the color is absolutely perfect!

• Katrina Bahl — February 21st, 2014 @ 11:17 am

Thank you! I hope you try them!

Lea Brown — November 8, 2014 at 2:26 pm

How many cookies does this make? I can’t see the amount anywhere.

Thanks.

Michelle Miller — November 9, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I can’t wait to try these for this years cookie exchange. @Lea Brown, it says that it makes 3 dozen on the right side.

Dana @ uniquely nested — November 10, 2014 at 11:35 am

Where did you find the heart candy/sprinkle? These are adorable!

• Katrina Bahl — November 22nd, 2014 @ 8:57 am

I got mine at JoAnne’s. You can find them at Michaels or online through Amazon as well.

Melanie — November 10, 2014 at 12:01 pm

@Dana – Party City has some http://www.partycity.com/product/jumbo+heart+sprinkles+3.25oz.do

Or you can go on Amazon and search “jumbo heart sprinkles” and there’s several results you can comb through

I am going to make these for a baking contest at work. These are so cute, thanks for the recipe!

• Katrina Bahl — November 22nd, 2014 @ 8:57 am

Good luck on the contest at work!

Erin — November 14, 2014 at 10:10 am

These are great! Any tips on how your cookies stayed so fluffy? When mine cooled, they are very flat! Thanks for the recipe.. Love it!

KATHY — November 15, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Look so cute. Can’t wait to make these. Where did you get the cute Grinch serving platters?

• Katrina Bahl — November 22nd, 2014 @ 9:11 am

I got those little bowls at a local craft show. Sorry I don’t have any other info on them!

Jennifer — November 15, 2014 at 11:48 pm

This is an adorable idea! The Grinch is my favorite holiday movie, so I’m going to have to make these soon. Thanks!

Amanda — November 24, 2014 at 9:28 am

Hi!
    If I don’t want to use a cakemix, is there any cookie recipe that you would think would taste the same?

darlene — November 24, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Hi, if you make the french vanilla cake from scratch, do you still have to add the other ingredients or just the food coloring? Thanks

,MARITA — November 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Making these today with my daughter for our Thanksgiving tomorrow!! Having a big family gathering and she is going to give the cookies out after we eat. We love the Grinch so she is so excited!!!! THANKS FOR THE GREAT RECIPE!!!!!!!

Josh — November 27, 2014 at 2:22 am

I made these with my daughter last week. We couldn’t find the heart sprinkles anywhere locally, so I improvised and used 3 red hots on each cookie to mock the shape of the heart. Once the cookies were baked, my daughter pointed out how the red hots grew into a bigger ‘heart’ shape, much like the Grinch’s heart grew from the beginning of the movie to the end!

Krizia — November 30, 2014 at 9:36 pm

OMG, my 3year old niece is going to love this, she’s a grinch fan, everytime she comes over the first thing she says is “lets watch the green christmas movie”and i’m like what movie? and she says “the sir had a very small heart and he was green like the hulk and he didn’t like christmas and then his heart grew and he now loves Christmas just like me” hahaha, thank you so much, i will be making this very soon, kisses from Venezuela :)

Alana — November 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

These cookies looking amazing and I am so keen to make them!!
    I was just wondering what size pack of cake mix you use (in grams)? Boxed cake mix sizes can be a little different in Australia =)

Katrina — December 2, 2014 at 7:13 pm

These are awesome. Love them!

Patti — December 3, 2014 at 7:40 pm

These are adorable! I decided to make them on a whim in December so obviously didn’t have any heart sprinkles on hand, nor did any of the local stores I checked. So instead I got some red chocolate melting disks and melted them in a squirt bottle. I then piped out some chocolate hearts freehand onto wax paper. I didn’t put them in the cookies before cooking but made a small indent with my finger and added the chocolate heart when the cookie was almost cool.

Monica — December 3, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Where did you find the hearts? I can only seem to find small white/pink ones. I want the bigger red hearts! I am planning on making these for my daughter’s birthday party at school. Her bday is Dec 20th, but with other Dec bdays and the class Christmas party on the 19th (the last day before Christmas break) her party got moved back to the 17th this year. I think I need to enlist the help of friends. We live in a smaller community. I’m sure I would have better luck in the city!

Monica — December 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Patti – I might have to try that! Thanks!!

Emily — December 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Where did you find those perfect heart shapes?! I want to make these but I’m not sure what to use for the hearts.

Katie — December 5, 2014 at 10:56 am

Mine were flat too – although I kind of squished the balls down before they baked – maybe that was it?

Also, I found that I had to watch them *really* close – leave them in 30 seconds too long and all the green baked right out, especially on darker cookie sheets. I made two batches, so had lots of experimental opportunities!

(Oh, and I used cinnamon hearts because I live in the middle of nowhere, and that was all that was available for hearts this time of year, aside from ordering them online and I didn’t want to pay 3x in shipping what I was paying for the actual product…) Oops, there goes my Grinch side! :)

Seriously, though – delicious!

Jill Asbury — December 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

My husband and 9 year old son LOVED these! Although they did come out really flat too! I am going to try this again in hopes to solve the problem. In the pictures they look so plump and fluffy! The only thing I can think of, is the dough should maybe chill a little longer? Either that, or I shouldn’t have doubled the batch… I also couldn’t find “French Vanilla” cake mix, so I just used a basic yellow/vanilla one. Any suggestions, anyone?

Alison — December 7, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I made these today, and they turned out very cute! I just piped red hearts on with some decorators gel. Mine got really flat too though, not sure why? I also added a teaspoon of peppermint flavoring just to give them a little more jazz. Pretty tasty!

Shelly — December 8, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I made these last night, flatted also, but not completely. I chilled in metal bowl from mixer, about 15 min. Great idea and will try again :)

Michelle — December 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Mine turned out very flat once cool. I am going to try to make them like the lemon crinkle recipe but use vanilla cake mix and add green. These I have made before and they do not turn out flat.

amber — December 8, 2014 at 5:32 pm

PLEASE! What is your secret to the fluffy cookie? Mine turned out flat and it looks like others have as well. Maybe you can share the brand of cake mix you used? Thanks!

sara — December 9, 2014 at 6:51 pm

These looked so fun and what a great dessert for a holiday party. Gotta say, i followed the recipe exactly and they tasted terrible and looked nothing like this, any suggestions if i try this again?

Chrissy — December 11, 2014 at 1:23 am

I couldn’t find hearts so I bought candy cane shaped sprinkles…I’m hoping 2 put together will make a proper heart. I’ll let everyone know how they turn out tomorrow

Sharon — December 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for a great recipe! I made these for my husband to take to his class a couple days ago (a university class!). I used a plain white cake mix with pudding in the mix and then panicked as I’ve never made cake mix cookies before. Would the pudding cause a problem? I Googled it and several recipes said that 2-3 TBS of water was necessary for cake mix cookies. So I compromised and worked in 1 TBS after the dough had already chilled for 20 minutes. Put the mix back in the fridge for another half hour and the cookies baked up fine. They were a little too sweet for my personal tastes at first, but I found the flavor mellowed after a couple of days. Just so cute!

Kristina — December 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Found these on pinterest and Im making them tonight for my sons bake sale at the school winter party tomorrow. I already had the same heart sprinkles from Valentines so that worked out perfect. I found the French Vanilla cake mix at Kroger (Betty Crocker.. super moist mix) Double the recipe and followed to a T. They look amazing, just like the picture! Thanks so much for sharing, I know the kids are gonna love them!

tiffany — December 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Are you sure you didn’t mean 1/3 cup oil? I followed yoire recipe and they spread too much and too thin.

Cara — December 13, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Tiffany–after reading the comments I think you’re on to something. I was just about to start the recipe and I will try 1/3 instead of 1/2 cup of oil and let you know how they turned out! :)

Andrea — December 14, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Mine were so sticky it was almost impossible to roll into a ball. I had to add a ton of powdered sugar to the mix just to be able to roll them. Not sure what I did wrong? They did end up really flat too like others commented.

Michelle T — December 14, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Can you freeze this dough? They look great btw! ♡

Jess — December 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm

i followed the recipe exactly and when I took it out of the fridge, it had oil on the bottom… I drained that out and ended up having to add a lot of flour to soak it up and that made the taste off… I think if I try these again I would only use 1/3 cup oil

shannon gemmill — December 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

So, I used Duncan hines 16.5oz box French vanilla mix and altered it by using only 1/3 cup oil. I used 6 liquid drops of food coloring whereas author used gel food coloring which is much more concentrated hence only 1 drop.My large heart sprinkles were from party city. I followed the remainder of the recipe. Very soft light fluffy cookies. Delicious!

Alana — December 17, 2014 at 10:00 am

They seemed like such a cute, easy idea… the batter is so thick and sticky that it just broke my electric mixer. And they dont turn out at all like the picture. Not worth the headache!

Melodie — December 17, 2014 at 5:28 pm

even at 12 minutes these cookies go flat…. great idea but would opt for another recipe for the cookie it’s self

Jerrika — December 17, 2014 at 6:29 pm

My cookies were also flat and I had to leave them in for almost double the time as they were still far too “wet”. These still turned out great regardless of their shape and they tasted wonderful. Thank you for sharing the recipe :)