PicMonkey Mondays: Creating a Collage

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

So last week we talked baout how to use PicMonkey to insert text onto a photo- you’re a rock star! Now it’s time to make a collage. There is really no limit when it comes to using PicMonkey to make a collage. I struggled with this tutorial because there is just so much you can do and so much I want to show you. Making a collage is all about the creative process so no 2 people are going to look at the same set of pictures and come up with the identical results

I hope by the end of this tutorial that you will feel comfortable using any template to create any customized collage that you may need. Everything -EVERYTHING- is able to be manipulated; no more boring 3×3 grids for you! Below you can see the template I started with looks nothing like the final product.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Start at PicMonkey.com and select Create a Collage.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

This will bring up the first tier of collage tabs where you can import photos. You will want to start with photos that have already been edited. PicMonkey has some photos there already if you just want to play with the collage features.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

If you want to insert your own pictures you will click onthe box that says “Open Photos,” or use the dropdown menu to select photos from your computer.

Insider Tip: You can select several photos at once (using Command-click on Mac or Control-click on Windows). Here I selected a bunch of Valentine recipe photos:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

The second tier of tabs will bring up a whole bunch of layouts. As I mentioned before these are just a starting point to get your creative juices going. Don’t feel boxed in by your options.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Choose your layout. Take note of the dimensions along the bottom. You can type in a number if you have specific dimensions that you need, or you can change dimensions by hovering your mouse over an outer border of your collage. When you see two thin blue lines appear, move the double arrow to stretch or shrink it. You can also do so by typing new numbers in the dimensions toolbar.

Insider Tip: If you need to unlock the proportions, click the padlock icon so it appears grey, not blue.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

I chose a Facebook Cover template.

Insider Tip: Facebook Covers are 851×315. They will fit perfectly into the long cover photo on Facebook profiles.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

The next tier of tabs is called Swatches. This is where I will be pulling the images for this tutorial (because I want you to focus on the method of creating a collage, not the images themselves).

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Use the dropdown menu to select from Sweethearts or Winterland or grab some from your own comupter. These swatches are great if you don’t want every cell filled with a photo.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

As I said, I’ll be using the swatches in order to focus on the method. From this point you would be grabbing your photos from the left sidebar. You can see that I selected a Facebook cover and I filled it. YAY! You can be done! Or not…

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

When you grab a photo from the left sidebar you can hover between cells until a blue line forms. Drop the photo there and it will squish it into the collage without changing the dimensions. Here I dropped a photo to the left:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Or above the large cell:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Or above the whole table:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

You can also hover in between cells until a thin blue line appears to change the size of the cell. Drag the cell up or down, left or right. See how I shrunk the top cell:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Truly I cannot express enough how many options you have to drastically change the layout from the template you stared with. See what happens when I drop a photo to the right of the whole collage:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

You can change your mind at any time. Hover over any photo until a small X appears in the upper right hand corner to remove an image:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Hover again to remove the cell completely:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

You can already see that my collage looks very different from the template we started with, but we’re going to manipulate it even further. You know how I love to manipulate things.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

The final tier of tabs on the left sidebar brings up the Background options. From here you can adjust the space between photos, corner rounding, and background color (or set the background color to “transparent”).

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Insider Tip: take note of the color dropper. Use the Eyedropper tool to match the background color to a particular color in the photo.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Here you can see I clicked the eyedropper and clicked on a few colors until I decided on the grey:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

You can still go back to any tier of menus and add/remove cells and rearrange photos:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Leave a few cells empty if you want to leave some open space to add text. The collage will save without the dotted line spacer holders:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

I decided that I wanted all of the cells full but I wanted the top rectangle to be skinny. Hover between the cells until you see the thin blue line and drag the box up or down:

You are ready to save:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Do you want to add text?

Save your collage without text. Then click on the “Close” X in the upper right corner.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

This will bring you back to the front screen when you can select “Edit a Photo:”

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Click on the P in the left hand sidebar to add text. {Don’t forget about my full step-by-step tutorial on How To Insert Text Onto Photos}

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

You did it!! Go eat a cookie.

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Because I don’t think this post is obscenely long already I thought I would just show you a few collages I made using this same Facebook Cover Template:

PicMonkey Tutorial- Creating a Customized Collage | inkatrinaskitchen.com

Have I convinced you? You can do ANYTHING with PicMonkey Collages! Don’t be boxed in!!!

Did you find this tutorial helpful? Please leave me any questions in the comment section below. I love hearing from you and I will do my best to explain things further or find an answer for you. I cannot wait to see what you guys create this week!

Don’t forget to check out all of the tutorials in this 4 Part series.

PicMonkey Tutorial | 4 part series

Inserting Text    |    Creating a Collage    |    Using Overlays    |    Creating Graphics

Disclosure: I told the awesome people at PicMonkey.com that I was putting this series together and they gave me a free Royale membership and said good luck. ;) All opinions are 100% my own (and I had actually already bought and paid for my own membership because I heart PicMonkey so much). Everything I’m showing you in this 4 week series can be done for free without access to any Royale effects.

36 Responses to “PicMonkey Mondays: Creating a Collage”

Toni | Boulder Locavore — February 11, 2013 at 8:12 am

I use PicMonkey all the time and love that you spelled this all out! I learned some new things Katrina, thank you!

Mikaela Cowles — February 11, 2013 at 9:31 am

Free is a very good price. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of PicMonkey before. This is fantastic. Thanks. And I love the step-by-step help. For someone like me, it’s SO essential!

Sandra's Easy Cooking — February 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

I love picmonkey and using it ever sense picnic closed, so it’s been a while…Love it! Great tutorial by the way!

Amanda — February 11, 2013 at 10:26 am

You are so smart. This totally makes me wish I used PicMonkey!!!

Amy | Amy's Cooking Adventures — February 11, 2013 at 11:07 am

Great tutorial! I’m just learning picmonkey and it’s great to see what others have already discovered!

Kate@Diethood — February 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

I used PicMonkey only once and I really liked it… simple and quick! I’ll make sure to click over and play a bit more.

Karly — February 11, 2013 at 11:22 am

You rock this picmonkey thing! Love your tutorial!

Sheila — February 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Great tips! I used Piknic and then Ipiccy and now I have been using Ribbet, but I might need to give pic monkey a try. Love the collage ideas ; )

• Katrina Bahl — February 11th, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Me too! I’ve found my “home” again with PicMonkey. I love it there!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Love Picmonkey! Since I am horrible with Photoshop, it’s my go-to for stuff like this!

YinMom YangMom Allie — February 11, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I use picmonkey for all my blog photos- it’s a great tool, easy, and free! I thought I knew everything there was to know, but you taught me a few things on this and your last tutorial. I didn’t know I could add more cells into the collage templates! Or copy all the text formatting to another text window! This is a really helpful series, thanks for the great information!

• Katrina Bahl — February 11th, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I’m glad the series has been helpful so far. :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — February 11, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I really love their Valentine stuff! It’s so cool!

Ashton — February 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm

haha! I didn’t even realize we posted such similar posts this week!!!! That’s awesome :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 13, 2013 at 7:46 am

Thank you for this great PicMonkey tutorial, Katrina! You are a ROCK STAR! xo

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 20, 2013 at 11:24 am

Loving this series!! I’m such a Pic Monkey addict!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — February 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

Girl, I have been using that collage feature but I never noticed the fun swatches!!! What a fun option for making a picture stand out!!!

Dus — June 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Wow awesome job w/ the templates!! I’ve only ventured over to pic collages so far but find pic monkey SO helpful. Do you know how to remove the white border around them by chance?

• Katrina Bahl — June 26th, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

Yes! On the left side 4th tier down you will see a paint palette. Click on that a then you’ll see an option to adjust spacing or round corners. You can also change the color of the borders there as well.

Dus — June 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

oh my goodness thank you SO much, what a huge help!

Kristin Barclay — June 29, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Is there a way to zoom and edit the photo while making a collage?

• Katrina Bahl — June 30th, 2013 @ 7:03 am

Unfortunately no. You must work with photos that are already edited. If I notice that something needs tweaking in a collage I’m working on I usually will open up PicMonkey in a new window in my browser, edit the photo in question, and save it. When you go back to your first window then search for photos again and you will be able to select the new one that you just edited. I hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by!

Barbara Ford — July 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This is an absolutely FANTASTIC tutorial, and I can’t wait to try all your steps…I just started playing around with a simple collage myself, and the first “snag” I hit was that I wanted to be able to “undo last move” or go back or something similar. I was liking what I had so far and then, because I’m not used to how it works yet, I accidentally clicked on something (maybe a border, maybe outside the box??) that totally screwed it up. Then I could NOT get back to what I had that I had liked so far. I have emailed picmonkey, but no response. Is there a way to Undo Last Move within the collage of picmonkey? Thank you again for the tutorial.

• Katrina Bahl — July 9th, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

As far as I know there is not an undo function on the collages- sorry! I feel your pain!

Kylara — September 6, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial…I’ve been trying to figure this out all afternoon.

Melissa — November 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm

how about printing them… that is what I am having difficulty with… I want to make name collages for my 6th grade students…

• Katrina Bahl — November 23rd, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

Great question Melissa. I save the photos to my computer at the highest resolution . From there you can print them however you normally print your photos (on your home printer, or through Shutterfly, Wal-Mart, etc.)

Lucinda @ Navigating By Joy — January 2, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for this series. I’ve been using ipiccy for the last year. I love it but I decided I ought to see what all the picmonkey fuss was all about.

I can see there are a few things picmonkey can do that ipiccy can’t (or that I don’t know how to do there, at least). And now I finally know how to use the eye dropper tool – that made this completely worthwhile reading in itself! :-) Thank you!

• Katrina Bahl — January 20th, 2014 @ 9:21 am

Thanks for stopping by. I’m glad you’ve found the tutorials helpful. That eye dropper tool is a life saver!!

Karen Peterson — January 17, 2014 at 11:43 am

Wow !!! That tutorial was incredible … so clear, methodical, and full of possibilities ! I just began blogging last fall and learned about picmonkey last week. Your tutorial has helped me feel like I create some beautiful work without all the challenges that often come with learning a new tech tool ! THANK YOU !!! I will certainly explore your additional tutorials. Your work is marvellous !

• Katrina Bahl — January 20th, 2014 @ 9:21 am

Thank you so much! I am a big PicMonkey fan so I’m happy to hear that others like it as well.

Susie — March 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for the tips. I didn’t know you could resize the entire collage.

Clotilde/Craftybegonia — April 10, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Love your series! I don’t use PicMonkey, I use Gimp and have to make all my stuff from scratch. I’m going through your tutorials and they are enticing me into trying PicMonkey, at least for some of my blog’s photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kay — May 21, 2014 at 4:34 am

Wow! What a great post… Series! Thank you so much. I started a blog recently and am learning ever so slowly as I go. Pic monkey sounds like it will be fun to work with. Thanks again, Katrina

Sarah — May 22, 2014 at 4:04 am

Is there a way to put more white border around just the outside of the collage, but not between each photo? I want to make something to put on a canvas. The outer edges will wrap around the block, so I need a much thicker white border.

Anastasia — July 17, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Love your Pic Monkey tutorials!! I just started a blog and really have found this information extremely helpful. Thanks so much, Katrina!