Cake Mix Cookie Cakes

Cake Mix Cookie Cakes from @KatrinasKitchen on www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

Happy Birthday! In Katrina’s Kitchen is turning 2 this week and we’re celebrating with these little Cake Mix Cookie Cakes! Aren’t they just adorable? If you haven’t tried making cake mix cookies before you are missing out. I’ll admit that I was a skeptic at first but these little guys have won me over. Not only are they easy to make but they come together quickly with little fuss.

Besides, I’m giving you an excuse to eat 3 cookies for 1- you’re welcome.

Cake Mix Cookie Cakes from @KatrinasKitchen on www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

These cookie cakes were actually made with my son in mind. He turned 6 this month and had a sudden and fierce opposition to bringing cupcakes in for his class treat. Of course he tells me of his cupcake aversion the night beforehand as I’m literally standing in front of the mixer with all of the ingredients out and the oven preheating.

You know how these things go…one day you have to cut your kid off at 3 cups of grapes and the next week he looks at you like you are growing a third eye if you even imply that he likes to eat grapes. So cupcakes were out this week but cookies were in.

Cake Mix Cookie Cakes from @KatrinasKitchen on www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

You’re just going to gather up all of the ingredients that you normally would to make cake or cupcakes from your favorite boxed cake mix. Follow the box directions for the amount of oil, add 2 eggs, and omit the water altogether. I think you’ll really love the cake flavor (and smell!) that comes from these cookies.

Happy 2nd birthday, little blog! Here’s to the toddler years! Let’s not have any tantrums, okay? Because no one needs more drama in their lives. Let’s just agree to be cute and delicious mmmmmmmmkay?

Cake Mix Cookie Cakes from @KatrinasKitchen on www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

Cake Mix Cookie Cakes

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Cook Time: 9 minutes

Total Time: 24 minutes

Soft cake mix cookies stacked up like birthday cakes between layers of chocolate frosting- an easy recipe to customize for your next party!

• Box of Cake Mix (any flavor)
  • 2 Eggs
  • Vegetable Oil (use amount called for on cake mix box directions)
  • Frosting

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix all ingredients together in the bowl of your electric mixer.
  3. Use a cookie scoop to form into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  4. Bake for 9 minutes.
  5. Let cool.
  6. Frost and stack cookies to form mini cakes (if desired).

I just wanted to remind you of a really fun post from last year at this time when we celebrated In Katrina’s Kitchen turning 1 by taking a look at some first posts of our favorite bloggers. You’ll love seeing the firsts of Picky Palate, Bake at 350, Recipe Girl, and more.

45 Responses to “Cake Mix Cookie Cakes”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 21, 2013 at 7:35 am

Happy Blogiverssary!! BTW I am LOVING your new layout – so fresh and crisp. Nice work!!

Robyn | Add a Pinch — January 21, 2013 at 7:45 am

Happy Blog Birthday! Love the new look and those cookies… YUM!

Deborah H. Bateman — January 21, 2013 at 8:25 am

Happy Birthday and thanks for sharing this post. These mini cakes are so cute. My granddaughters birthday is coming up this week and I am going to tell my daughter about these cute little treats. If you get a chance stop by my blog Recipe for Life and check out some of my family favorite recipes
    Blessings,
    Deborah H. Bateman-Author

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — January 21, 2013 at 8:47 am

Happy Blogiversary!!! :D What a beautiful way to celebrate!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 21, 2013 at 9:07 am

Love these!! And happy blogiversary!!!!

Becky — January 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

You are so creative! Cake cookies are so cute1 Happy 2nd Blog Birthday!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 21, 2013 at 9:28 am

so cute! And happy blogiversary – very creative treats! :)

loulou — January 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

Happy Blog Birthday! I just discovered your site and loooved the cookies! They are an excellent idea! Have a nice week!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

Great birthday cake! Happy Blogiversary #2 to you, Katrina! :)

steph@stephsbitebybite — January 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

So cute and creative! Happy Blogiversary!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — January 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

Happy Blogiversary! These cookie cakes are so fun!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 21, 2013 at 11:25 am

Hahaha. He sounds like me with the grapes and then, “Who ever said I even liked grapes?! Ugh.”

These little cookie cakes look delightful. So fun and creative! And happy second blog anniversary. :D

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 21, 2013 at 11:59 am

Happy blog birthday to you!! These cookie cakes are the perfect way to celebrate!

Helen — January 21, 2013 at 11:59 am

Happy Blogiversary!
    These cookie cakes look delicious. So creative and cute. =)

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — January 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

aww these are so cute! My mom used to do these with her daycare kids.
    3 cookies are always better than 1!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Katrina!!!!!!! Happy Blog Birthday Girl!! These are adorable! I just made cake mix cookies too. Aren’t they so convenient? Yessss.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — January 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm

HAPPY BLOG BIRTHDAY! And these cookie cakes are SOOOOOO cute! You just gave me a little inspiration for my 4yr olds bday party ;)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Yaaay happy blogiversary :) And uhm yumm pass me a cookie cake

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — January 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Happy Blog Birthday! After seeing your comment I have to come over and check it out! Today is a great day for stacking cookies!

Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks — January 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Love these – How cute!! Happy Blogiversary :) xoxo

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Your site is awesome!!!! I am on Lindsay’s list and have another couple months to wait but your makeover looks amazing. CONGRATS GIRL! And the cookies, too…delish. Are you just in love with your site, or what!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — January 21, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Happy Blog Birthday Katrina!!! I am addicted to cake mix cookies…but I have to say I love your idea of making a mini cake from them. Yes, please to 3 cookies as 1 cake!!! Love!!!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — January 21, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Happy Bloggy Birthday, Katrina! I super heart your adorable cookie cake stacks! Cake mix cookies rock my socks :)

Kate@Diethood — January 21, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Whoa! <—sounds like Joey from Blossom – that's the way it came out when I saw these on Pinterest!!
    3 frosted cookies… stacked … loves it!

Happy Blog Birthday!!! xo

Amanda — January 21, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I adore that you use box mix. Never stop ok? ;)

amanda @ fake ginger — January 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Two years?! I can’t believe it’s only been 2 years! You’ve accomplished so much in such a short time!

Send me a cookie cake!

PS. I love your new blog so much.

heather — January 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Happy bloggy birthday, friend! Love those little cookie cakes, they make me smile!

xo

Deborah — January 22, 2013 at 2:31 am

Happy 2nd birthday! And what a fun way to celebrate – I love these!

lola — January 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

Beautiful cakes, amazing idea! Happy Blogging anniversary!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — January 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm

These are so cute and creative! Happy blog birthday!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — January 22, 2013 at 4:42 pm

These look so adorable, Katrina! Happy blogiversary, too!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 23, 2013 at 10:05 am

These really are just the cutest things I’ve ever seen!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 23, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Happy Blog Anniversary and Happy Birthday to your son as well! These are adorable!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — January 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Happy Blogiversary!!! I am in love with your new blog design. Looks awesome!!! Now I want a cake. :)

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills — January 24, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Love your blog and congrats on it’s 2nd birthday :) I actually found your blog when I was looking for a picture of peanut butter on google to use on my blog for National PB Day!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — January 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Happy 2nd anniversary, Katrina! Cheers to many more! Love these cute cookie cakes:)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — January 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

So darn cute!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 25, 2013 at 4:12 pm

What a wonderful way to celebrate! They look so fun to eat too!

Megan — January 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm

What a great way to celebrate your blogiversary!! These are so neato what a great way to repurpose traditional box mix!

Elizabeth — January 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm

These are one of the cutest desserts I’ve seen this week!

Audra | The Baker Chick — January 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Yippee! 2 whole years!! That reminds me that mine is coming up too!

These cookie “cakes” are adorable and I love the story about your little babe- how do gets get “over” things so fast!!?

Emanuelle — February 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! All the pictures and food are so beautiful!!

Check out my blog if you get a chance. It would mean a lot to me!!

Jess — February 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Katrina – I’ve seen lots of posts on cake mix cookies, but these are definitely the most fun way I’ve seen to serve them! Love that you involve your boys in the kitchen tasks. Congrats on two years!

Lisa @ Wine & Glue — October 30, 2013 at 1:15 pm

These are awesome! So awesome that when I found them on Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/503488433312741916/) I immediately clicked over and found this: http://badpin.us/cake-mix-cookie-cakes/ Barf. Pinning you!

• Katrina Bahl — November 2nd, 2013 @ 9:22 am

Thank you Lisa :) I an’t even keep up with scraper sites- ugh. So glad you like the cookies!! -K