Tie Dyed Rice Krispie Treats

These Rainbow Tie Dyed Rice Krispie Treats could not be easier to prepare! Kids will love them and they can even help in the kitchen.

Rainbow Tie Dyed Rice Krispie Treats

Sometimes I lie to myself. Like this week when I told myself I wasn’t going to tell you this story about my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day but here I am typing out the words as the sentences form in my mind. It’s like I cannot think of one single intelligent thing to talk about other than this story so I apologize. Just skip to the bottom if you want to make these tie dyed rice krispie treats. Wouldn’t these be fun to make with a group of kids while waiting for tie dyed shirts to dry? I made these while I was alone on my back porch but I was totally imagining myself inviting the neighborhood kids over for an impromptu tie dye party. I’m sure that would not have been weird at all. Surely not weirder than sitting on my back porch taking photos of rice krispie treats, right?

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway- back the awful story.  A few months ago our 2 year old flushed the toilet paper roll holder thing down the toilet. It was stuck there for many moons and the basement restroom rendered useless until recently when my husband could take it completely apart and fix it. Life was good with all functioning household toilets. Then Tuesday happened.

This is as best as we can piece it together: I’m making a super-healthy, farm-fresh dinner (okay, it was more like a scrambled eggs and waffles kind of night) when water starts dripping from the ceiling. It takes me about 20 seconds to process that this is happening before a steady trickle of water begins to form and I grab a bowl to catch the increasing flow. A frantic scream to my husband who is in the basement, and he becomes Mr. Summer Olympian and sprints to the top floor to find a room full of water. Who even knows how long the toilet had been overflowing? Mind you- earlier in the day I plunged 3 markers out of the toilet while 1 very adorable toddler stood by repeating, “I sowwy, Mommy. I sowwy.”

So there is my awful story. I cannot even believe how many times I just wrote the word toilet on a food blog. I may even consider adding toilet as a keyword on this post. I promise not to mention toilets in my next post.

I told you last week that I was going to show you how to make these funky tie dyed treats but I have been busy monitoring the hallway. Apparently I am not very good at being the bathroom police so I’m just going to go back to making things with sugar. The house may come falling down around me but I will be on the back porch listening to the multi-colored snap, crackle, pop with the neighborhood kids.

Tie Dyed Rice Krispie Treats @KatrinasKitchen

Tie Dyed Rice Krispie Treats Recipe

Total Time: 10 minutes

Colorful, tie-dyed dipped rice krispie treats

• Rice Krispie Treats, prepared
  • Torani French Vanilla Syrup
  • Gel food coloring

1. Pour the French Vanilla syrup in a shallow dish.
  2. Add 1 drop of each of your desired colors.
  3. Dip your krispie treat- no need to swirl around.

• I tried dipping these with many things; the Torani syrup worked the best and let the color spread. It also added a nice flavor.
  • You ARE adding liquid to the krispie treat so there isn't much time before they start getting soggy. I would not recommend making these hours in advance.

Original recipe and images © In Katrina's Kitchen

I made these to celebrate my most recent 5k, called The Color Run. You can read more about it in this post. It’s not too late to join us in our Red Faced Runner’s 5k challenge. We have BIG news coming up that you don’t want to miss!! Follow along with the Twitter/Instagram hashtag #RFR5k and join our growing community over on the Red Face Runner’s Challenge Facebook Page!

Items used in this recipe:

In Katrina’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

19 Responses to “Tie Dyed Rice Krispie Treats”

Heather — July 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hahaha! I'm sorry to laugh at your very bad day, but I love that you shared this story! Too funny, and I can totally sympathize.

Your krispie treats are so groovy! Wish I had one!

xoxox
    My recent post Lemon Cream Roulade – A Guest Post!

Taking On Magazines — July 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Wow, that really was a bad day. I don't know what I'd do as I watch water pouring down from upstairs like that. I hope the repair costs weren't too horrific. The bars are amazing. I love the look so very much. Your method will definitely be tried over here. Thanks for sharing.
    My recent post Orzo Salad from Southern Lady/Simply Southern Magazine, 2012

bakedbyrachel — July 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Kids… seriously, if anyone ever told us the truth about the toddler and preschool ages I bet no one would have kids lol.
    My recent post Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes {Guest Posting}

Sue — July 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Oh no! Well, the tie-dyed treats should make everything better! :) At least you hadn't left home and then arrived to find a flood, right?!? I remember when my son was about two, and my husband had to take the toilet off its base and down below he found about twenty Fisher-Price "Little People" toys:)
    My recent post Mini Ice Cream Cone Cake Pops

CrazyforCrust — July 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oh god. Plumbing and toilets. I hate them! Sounds like you have a very curious little boy on your hands, lol! These treats are SO pretty and if I ever get the gumption to try tie dying again they most certainly would be the perfect snack!!
    My recent post Olympic Gold Medal Brownie Batter Hand Pies

BakeYourDay — July 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Oh my goodness, you poor thing! Hope toilet messes are only a thing of your past. You definitely deserved to eat one (or a whole pan) of these adorable little treats!
    My recent post Wednesday Ramblings – June in Photos

amanda — July 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Giiiiirl, you need to go get some of those door knob safety things! I have one of each bathroom, the pantry, and my room and my 2 1/2 year old hasn't been able to figure them out yet. It's the only thing he can't figure out! And can you explain to me what the appeal of the toilet is?
    My recent post Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

sally — July 6, 2012 at 12:49 am

OMG Katrina that sound like a nightmare!! I would've freaked out! Maybe even faint because I cannot handle disasters like that! Hope everything is all good now! Love these groovy treats!
    My recent post strawberry frosted donuts.

Rebecca Walker — July 6, 2012 at 1:19 am

LOL We have all had days like that–those of us who have had toddlers, anyway–if it makes you feel any better. Good thing your husband is in good shape. And good thing you're able to have a sense of humor about these things. (After the fact, of course.) I hate to think what colorful words would have streamed out of my mouth–sort of like the tie dye. Hey there's the adult name for them: Cuss Word Krispie Treats!

Mei-I — July 6, 2012 at 2:44 am

These are so fun I want to throw an impromptu tie dye party! Sorry to hear all about your toilet woes. I think you should just start a contest to see who uncovers the strangest thing in the toilet. :) Good luck!!

Paula — July 6, 2012 at 3:15 am

What a cool idea! My kids would love these!
    My recent post Verizon Wireless Midwest Savvy Gourmets #VZWSG #Samp

Jen @ JFC — July 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm

So cute! I bet the kids would love these!
    My recent post Banana Pudding

Claire — July 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm

They are so cute! I would love to eat one, but at least there's your recipe!
    My recent post Brookie dough

sweetsugarbelle — July 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Awe! I feel your pain. But nothing makes toilet water seeping throught the ceiling better like ricekrispie treats do! Especially pretty rainbow tie dyed ones =)

Ali @Gimme Some Oven — July 9, 2012 at 4:22 am

Oh my heavens. The stories that make up our lives. :)

THESE rice krispie treats are amazing, though!!! You are so creative! :) Absolutely will have to try these soon. So fun!
    My recent post steak & artichoke salad with blue cheese dressing

gerryspeirs — July 10, 2012 at 5:21 am

I feel for you, I have a 2 year old and he unconsciously (i think) looks for stuff to break/eat/throw/ or all of the above at the same time, and he totally stands and looks at me saying sowwy da da! I love him and take many deep breaths :)
    Take care..
    My recent post Peach Crumble….

kita — July 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Seriously, will you be my mommy?

food_dreamer — July 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Oh my! It would seem that your youngest has a bit of a penchant for flushing things down the toilet! But these krispie treats are adorable.
    My recent post Chocolate Mint Fudge Pops (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Morgan — March 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Maybe mixing the food dye in melted white chocolate could help avoid the sogginess and make them easier to prepare in advance. It would be more pastel– but Easter is around the corner :)