Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes

These Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes are completely edible and have a hidden candy surprise inside the chocolate grass. SO easy and fun to make with kids!

Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes- cute and easy for Easter!!

I am disturbed by the Easter Bunny.

Rabbits surely don’t lay eggs so did this creepy rabbit go around and steal them from technicolor chickens? He bribes children to swap his candy-filled eggs for pastel-colored hard boiled eggs? Wait a minute- do bunnies even eat hard boiled eggs? Disturbing image. And now he somehow has access to my house?

Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes Tutorial

I’m pretty sure my fear stems from the time when I was a small child and my dad took a job as a department store Easter Bunny. I did not know that the Easter Bunny was a man (let alone my father) so when he called me by my name I was pretty much scarred for the rest of my life. Looking back I see no photos of me with the Easter Bunny after The Incident. Even now real rabbits kind of spook me.

Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes -chocolate eggs hidden inside chocolate "grass" @katrinaskitchen

Call me the Easter Scrooge but I’m not into Easter egg hunts either. Of course I lived for them as a child, (as long as the creepy human-sized bunny stayed a safe distance away) but as an adult they are kind of a pain. Most of the time it is cold out or raining. We get our kids dressed up to go run around in the mud and come home with a bag full of Jolly Ranchers and the occasional Hershey’s Kiss. Also have you ever tried to explain to a small child why you have to throw away unwrapped candy? Their poor little brains can only comprehend **My candy is in the trash. My candy is in the trash. My candy is in the trash. YOU threw my candy IN THE TRASH** You lose major mom points for throwing away perfectly good jelly beans.

Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes Prep

All the while the Easter Bunny is lurking around silently judging us all. He hid those eggs for a reason you know. Does he secretly expect repayment in the form of hard boiled eggs? Or maybe this candy is just an advancement on Sunday’s haul.

This year my oldest son is no longer in the kiddie field. Basically the kiddie field is  a roped off area for toddlers to walk around and clean up somebody else’s mess all while pausing for cute photo opps. Most of them have no idea what is going on and can’t even eat half of the candy that is in the plastic eggs anyway. It’s kind of cruel now that my son is old enough to be excited by the hunt he will likely only come home with a few eggs if that. Hopefully he won’t be plowed over by a 9 year old girl. Oh well, at least he has cupcakes.

Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes Recipe

Yield: 2 dozen

Cupcakes with chocolate eggs hidden in a field of chocolate grass

• 24 Cupcakes
  • Buttercream frosting
  • 2 Cups green-tinted chocolate discs, melted
  • Easter egg candy

1. Using a squirt bottle or icing bag pipe melted chocolate onto parchment paper or a silicone mat look like grass. There is no need to be exact because you can break off any extra to fit onto your cupcakes. Run a bead of chocolate at the base of the grass to reinforce the bottom since you will be pressing this into your frosted cake. Let harden (can place in the refrigerator to speed up the process).
  2. While waiting for the chocolate to set up frost your cupcakes (or cake) as you normally would. Be generous with the frosting since it will need to hold the grass upright.
  3. Peel the chocolate grass off of the parchment paper and stand upright in the frosting along with some candy eggs.

• I used a boxed cake mix but you can certainly use your favorite recipe. As I was decorating these cupcakes I thought this would be a cute 9x13 cake- a whole Easter egg hunt field!
  • Substitute a can of frosting if you don't want to make your own. You can thicken canned frosting by adding powdered sugar. Start with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and keep adding to get your desired consistency.
  • Pipe your grass onto parchment paper with a squirt bottle or a piping bag. You can also use a large Ziplock baggie with a tiny hole cut in the corner. Just be sure that your baggie is thick so the chocolate won't be too hot to hold.
  • I used Cadbury chocolate eggs. You could even use jelly beans.
  • Up the fun factor to these cupcakes by hiding a treat inside before you bake them. Last year I made cookie cups with Cadbury Cream Eggs hidden inside- yum!
  • You can find green-tinted chocolate at craft stores (like JoAnne's) or baking supply stores.

Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes- easy for kids to decorate and fun to eat. SO easy!!

30 Responses to “Easter Egg Hunt Cupcakes”

Heather — April 2, 2012 at 12:34 am

Beyond brilliant! You are so smart.

Really cute!
    My recent post Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Devil's Food Cake Cheesecake

amanda @ fake ginger — April 2, 2012 at 1:46 am

Cute cute CUTE! My kids agree with you about the Easter bunny – you should see our Easter bunny photo. Sigh.
    My recent post Caesar-Stuffed Eggs

Baked by Rachel — April 2, 2012 at 1:47 am

Omg we're for real soul mates! I find giant bunnies creepy. We don't even do mall trips for pics because of that very reason. I honestly. Never thought about the public egg hunt issue! We've never even done one at home… Perhaps this year… Inside of course ;) btw seriously adorable cupcake idea. My girls would go crazy for them!
    My recent post Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken

Belinda @zomppa — April 2, 2012 at 2:14 am

How adorable are these??? How fun!
    My recent post Earth Hour 2012: Saturday 31 March at 8:30pm

theharriedcook — April 2, 2012 at 2:26 am

Just adorable, and a great idea! Super post, Katrina!
    My recent post Mars Bar Chunk Cookies

Sue — April 2, 2012 at 2:41 am

THIS is SUCH a darling idea, Katrina! Your cupcakes turned out great!
    My recent post April Fool's Day Cookies {Updated}, and some little guys too:)

weekendgourmet — April 2, 2012 at 3:15 am

Very very cute, Katrina! Very clever idea…I'm sure that any kid would LOVE these on Easter!
    My recent post Book Review: 5 Steps to Healthy Cooking…Featuring Chewy Cranberry Granola Bars

Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 2, 2012 at 11:42 am

These are absolutely adorable!! Love this idea.

Jenny — April 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Brilliant!
    My recent post Anxiety is a Bitch.

Carrie — April 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

CUTE! You always give me the best ideas for something fun to make for my kids and their class.
    My recent post Carrot Cake w/ Whipped Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

Kathia — April 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Katrina, these cupcakes are adorable. I love your easter bunny story. I totally don't get the Easter bunny thing, I am from Costa Rica and we do not celebrate Easter with eggs in any way. When I moved here, I kept asking about the Bunny and noboy could give me the right answer, now I just go with the flow and enjoy coloring eggs with my little girl. I still do not get the bunnies and eggs together LOL

Maureen — April 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Awww, these are so cute!
    My recent post Risotto Balls

elsellin — April 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm

You are so creative!! What a fun cupcake!!

Bake Your Day — April 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Super cute, Katrina. I love the grass idea, you are so creative!
    My recent post Bailey’s Butterscotch Brownies with Homemade Whipped Cream

Krissy's Creations — April 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm

What a great idea! Love the grass :)
    My recent post Hot Cross Buns

Laura — April 2, 2012 at 9:47 pm

These are absolutely adorable!
    My recent post Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

JanetFCTC — April 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

These are so cute! My three year old would love them. Oh, who am I kidding? I'D love them :-D

Alison — April 3, 2012 at 12:23 am

I love the cupcakes but I don't have that kind of patience to make them. We went to a easter egg hunt last year with my then 2 year old and the parents went in with the kids and picked up all the eggs so my son didn't get any. Luckily he was too small to know any better but we are going to try a different place this year but it sounds like your easter egg hunt is great (minus your great fear of the easter bunny).
    My recent post Not Fried Zucchini

sallysbakingaddiction — April 3, 2012 at 1:04 am

these are too cute Katrina!! i can always count on you for creative holiday recipes! (still can't get over those superbowl sundae bowls you made a couple months ago!!)
    My recent post peeps s’mores & chocolate dipped peeps.

themadhausfrau — April 3, 2012 at 1:26 am

These are so clever. Love them!

nic010205 — April 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Adorable!!!

And no… rabbits don't eat hard boiled eggs :-)
    My recent post You Make Me Smile LO: Day 1- KP’s Sketchbook 4

Bri — April 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love this idea! Cute & simple!
    My recent post Cowboy Caviar

Jen @ JFC — April 3, 2012 at 5:19 pm

These are so cute! What a great idea, to make grass from chocolate! My problem is that if I open a bag of Cadbury mini-eggs, it's all over. I'll have to make mine with robin eggs! :)
    My recent post Carrot Cookies

Kim Campbell — April 3, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This is a great idea! I'm definitley going to have to do this for Easter!! Found you from Cupcakes Take The Cake!

Chung-Ah — April 4, 2012 at 2:24 am

How innovative! I love this idea, and I'm sure it's a real hit with the kids!
    My recent post Loaded Potato Skins

Georgia — April 4, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Katrina, these are so cute and creative! Definitely much different than anything else I've seen lately. You are so very, very talented!

trish — April 6, 2012 at 3:06 am

Well now if this isn't the neatest of beez-e-est kneez-e-est ideas for Easter EVER! Great job.
    My recent post What is beautiful?

Carrie — April 6, 2012 at 4:05 pm

These are so adorable! What a great idea.
    My recent post Easter Cookies

cookied-oh — April 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I'm a little late, but this is the best idea ever!
    My recent post Simple Easter Cookies

jamielifesafeast — April 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm

OMG this story of your dad dressed up as the Easter Bunny "creepy human-sized bunny" is hysterical! LOL I can imagine your fear of Easter! We never celebrated Easter but my mom and I would rush straight to the grocery store the day after Easter to buy up Peeps, bags of Easter chocolates and those candy-coated malted milk balls at half price. Our own private Easter celebration! Love these cupcakes!
    My recent post CLASSIC FRENCH BEEF AND CARROTS à la mode