Handprint Cookies

My Best Sugar Cookie dough recipe is perfect for this edible gift since it doesn’t spread during baking and will keep the imprint of your little one’s handprint. Handprint Cookies- perfect for that hard-to-shop-for grandparent!

Handprint Cookies -the cookie dough is perfect for this edible gift since it doesn't spread during baking and will keep the imprint of your little one's handprint.

I’ve been told time and time again by mothers whose children are grown that I will miss these days.

I will miss stepping on Hot Wheels.

I will miss scraping up Play Doh off of the carpet.

I will miss doing laundry every day all day.

I will miss juice boxes and goldfish crackers.

I will miss the constant noise of 2 young boys.

I will miss watching Yo Gabba Gabba. {Really? Have you seen that show?}

Slowly things start to change and I won’t have to carry diapers or sippy cups with me everywhere.

One day I will forget the words to Go, Dog, Go.

One day I will dig in the depths of my purse and not have to scoop out a single Cheerio.

One day Mommy’s goodbye kisses will be replaced with a brief wave from a safe distance.

One day there won’t be any grubby fingerprints to clean up.

That’s what they say anyway.

Just in case they’re right I wanted to capture our boys’ little hand prints.

I used my Best Basic Sugar Cookie recipe (it doesn’t spread so it kept the shape of their hand prints very well) and Small Batch Royal Icing.

38 Responses to “Handprint Cookies”

kitchenarian — February 14, 2012 at 6:30 pm

So I don't miss Barney or The Wiggles very much, but I do miss those sweet little hands that I used to hold crossing the street. This is the cutest sugar cookie I have ever seen. LOVE this post. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your sweet boys.
    My recent post Ten Ways To Bake “I Love You”

notrachaelray — February 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm

You are so creative! I love this.
    My recent post Salted Peanut and Caramel Banana Bread {Guest Post}

Erin @ Dinners, Dish — February 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Super cute, what a great treat! It is amazing, my son is 6 and how much he has changed. I barely remember diapers and sippy cups. But I am so not ready for distant waves, and me not being the best thing in the world.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Sue — February 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Everything you said is true! it's just kind of human nature that we don't always appreciate "things" until they pass. Thank goodness grandchildren came along:) These cookies are over the top adorable! Your creativity genes are very dominant, Katrina! :) LOVE! Happy Valentine's Day!
    My recent post Surprise Virtual Book Release Party for Sugarlicious~and Donut Cookies!

Averie — February 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm

So cute. You're such a good mama! I didn't do anything nearly this creative…now I feel like I better do this, ASAP!!!
    My recent post Baked Orange Coconut Banana Donuts

CanterburyCakes — February 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm

What a fabulous idea! It is scary how quickly things change. We've tried keeping a diary for our boys in an attempt to remember the funny things they say or do, but I am sure that in years to come I will be frustrated with myself for not having noted down more…
    My recent post Chocolate & Date Brownies – Baking with the Kids

ChiTown Girl — February 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

That is all SO true! I miss it all even more now that my "baby" is 18 and in college, and my brother just had a baby this past summer. I remembering all the joy that comes with a baby. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with any of the hard stuff, cuz that's my brother's deal now! hahaha!

Amy & Lisa — February 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

What a cool idea! And yes…someday {and it happens fast} they grow up, and you will most likely miss all those little things….I know I do! :(

Erica — February 14, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Great idea. Love cooking with the kids.
    My recent post Happy Valentine's Day

amanda @ fake ginger — February 15, 2012 at 1:06 am

This is such a great idea! I'll have to do this and send them to the grandparents!
    My recent post Salted Caramel and Peanut Banana Bread

Jenni — February 15, 2012 at 1:23 am

These are positively the cutest thing I have seen all month! I love these! And, for the record, I am pretty sure I will NEVER miss stepping on a Lego.
    My recent post The Daring Cooks Make Quinoa Patties

cara — February 15, 2012 at 1:27 am

Seriously can't even take watching yo gabba gabba so you are a stronger woman than I am! These cookies are a precious idea!
    My recent post Baked Fudge

The Harried Cook — February 15, 2012 at 1:53 am

Beautiful post, Katrina! And I love the post and can totally relate…

Belinda @zomppa — February 15, 2012 at 2:46 am

Aw – enjoy those Cheerios – these are the COOLEST cookies! They will certainly remember that!
    My recent post Red Velvet Cupcakes: Scratch vs. Shortcut

mary — February 15, 2012 at 3:43 am

My babies are 24 and 28 and I still remember the words to Go Dog Go- but so do my children! Those are wonderful cookies, also.

Kim - Liv Life — February 15, 2012 at 4:30 am

Oh, Katrina… trust me. They do grow up. And you will miss them terribly. My son is 15 1/2 and can't wait to get that driver's license. At that point I know I will really lose him. As I ask about school his comment is "why do you want to know?" I make him hug me… I tell him that he owes me because I'm his mom and without me he wouldn't be here. He grudgingly hugs me. I think deep down somewhere he likes it, but he sure doesn't want to show it. A few nights ago though we were watching something on tv and he came and sat down by me and leaned over and put his head on my shoulder. I held him for nearly an hour. I enjoyed each and every second!
    As for the cookies… absolutely adorable!!! I really like the square shape of them.
    And btw… I'm still doing laundry ever day… that part doesn't change!
    XO
    My recent post Honey Ginger Glazed Mahi Mahi

Nina — February 15, 2012 at 4:58 am

My daughters are now 23 and 26, and we made handprints using plaster when they were little!! they hang on my bedroom wall above the same plaster type handprint that I did for my mother over 50 years ago!! It's a great way to preserve those "little" hands!

Sandra — February 15, 2012 at 11:08 am

Cutest idea ever!
    My recent post Sweets For My Sweets

Priyanka — February 15, 2012 at 11:53 am

So cute. great idea

Karen — February 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

so cute and sweet, what a great idea!
    My recent post happy valentine’s day…to me.

Mary at n00bcakes — February 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm

D'aw. I'm not a momma, but that's super-sweet. :)
    My recent post Chocolate Malted & Roasted Marshmallow Cupcakes

Charlie — February 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

These will be awesome to do with my grandchildren!

My kids are grown as you can tell.
    I agree with everything above except …………. you will NOT miss the laundry ………. BELIEVE ME!

Thanks for sharing.

Rachel — February 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

It's so true and you're making me sad!! But these cookies are way cute.
    My recent post Chocolate Sugar Cookies

England Furniture — February 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

This could be a great cooking activity for parents and children to do together. Thank you for sharing.

nic010205 — February 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm

this is the most adorable thing ever!!! I love it.
    My recent post Trippy Dreams

Becky — February 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I have three grown boys, and they do grow up so fast. I remember saying I knew that they they were older, when I didn't find cheerio or graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of my purse, and that was 30 years ago:) Some things never change. Then the boys go in a different direction, asserting their independence. Enjoy them when they are little.

Love the hand prints. cherish them.

meaghan — February 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Aw, love this idea! Just posted a link on edible crafts :)
    My recent post Sugarlicious sneak peek over at CakeSpy: prop cookie pops!

Kathia Castro — February 16, 2012 at 9:42 pm

This is a really sweet post Katrina.
    I have a 4 year old, I know Yo Gabba Gabba by heart, every song. What about Max and Ruby or Olivia? Kids grow so fast and we have to enjoy every minute. With a 4 month old baby I still have way to go with the diaper bag so I am enjoying every precious moment.
    My recent post Blue Peony-Engagement Cake

Festive Party Girl — February 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Are you trying to make me cry? My daughter is 9, time is flying by way too fast. These cookies are so precious. What a great idea.
    My recent post Baby Shower Invitations

Eliot — February 17, 2012 at 12:05 am

Great post and a great idea! I often think of our nieces and nephews and how fast they are growing. It won't be long and we will be attending a graduation every year! I will be sad then. :(
    My recent post Navy Bean Soup

betty — February 17, 2012 at 12:58 am

Those little handprints are so sweet! My grandson is living with me now, so I have a reprise of some of the things you mentioned. (In my house though, it's legos instead of hot wheels.) I will not, however, miss Yo Gabba Gabba! Enjoy those childhood years- your children will be grown before you know it!
    My recent post Paula's Meatless (but you'd never know it) Chili

Maureen — February 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

One thing you won't miss, regardless how old the kids get is stepping on one solitary lego blog when barefoot and in the dark.

Other than that I agree with you. I love these cookies. Absolutely precious!
    My recent post Food Writer Fridays – Not Quite Nigella

Elizabeth — February 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm

These are SO adorable! I love how the handprint is red.

Roxana GreenGirl — February 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

ha ha we're watching Yo Gabba Gabba as well :))
    This is such a cute idea. going to take Tiffany's hand prints too !
    My recent post Heart to heart and an Egg-land best Giveaway

Carolyn — February 19, 2012 at 5:51 pm

So SO adorable! You know, there is a lot I know I won't miss…the mess on the kitchen table, the feeling like someone CONSTANTLY needs my attention. I try to be mindful of enjoying them when they are little but it is tough sometimes.
    My recent post Chocolate Macadamia Coconut Tarts (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

bakingserendipity — February 20, 2012 at 4:45 am

I love this idea! I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I hope this is something I remember :)
    My recent post 365: Week Seven

Christina — February 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm

How cute are these cookies!? I love it! :)
    My recent post Coffee Lover’s Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

Carrie — February 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This is the cutest idea ever!! My boys (ages 3 and 5) will love this project!
    My recent post French Dip Calzones