Cake Batter Ice Cream Bread

Homemade bread using 2 ingredients- ice cream and flour! I used Cake Batter Ice Cream to make ice cream bread but you can get creative with ANY flavor!

2 Ingredient Ice Cream Bread Recipe  @KatrinasKitchen

Did you read that right? Yes you did. Two-Ingredient Ice Cream Bread. When I saw this recipe my mind exploded.

CAKE BATTER ICE CREAM BREAD #recipe only 2 ingredients- Ice cream and self-rising flour! Any Flavor! from www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

I mean THINK of all the possibilities! Moose Tracks, Rocky Road, Mint Chocolate Chip (you already know how I feel about that), Cookies and Cream, Noah’s Arctic Freeze. Okay that last one is my husband’s creation of vanilla ice cream studded with frosted animal crackers. Patent pending (Shh! not really). Disregard that one. But ICE CREAM BREAD!

I first made this a few weeks ago with chocolate ice cream and a few chocolate chips thrown in the batter for good measure. I’ll be honest, it was okay. Here’s the thing- it looked like a brownie but it tasted like bread. It made my brain hurt.

Let me introduce you to my friend Cake Batter Ice Cream. He (?) goes well with sprinkles. Lots and lots of sprinkles. Also I just dumped them in the bottom of my bundt pan this time instead of mixing them into the batter. Score!

This is bread, not cake. It is dense with just the right amount of sweetness from the ice cream. You cut it and eat it with your hands. And then you laugh at the world because you are eating ice cream with your hands while others still have to use a spoon.

Also don’t feel the need to confess that you ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on cake batter ice cream bread.

I don’t.

CAKE BATTER ICE CREAM BREAD #recipe | 2 ingredients- Ice cream and self-rising flour! Any Flavor! from www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

Cake Batter Ice Cream Bread Recipe

Yield: 1 loaf

Cook Time: 35-45 minutes

Homemade bread using 2 ingredients- ice cream and flour!

1.5 quart tub of cake batter ice cream
3 cups of self-rising flour
Sprinkles (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. Let ice cream soften at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
  3. In the bowl of your mixer combine ice cream with flour until the flour is incorporated.
  4. Evenly distribute sprinkles in the bottom of a greased Bundt pan and scoop batter evenly on top.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Invert and allow to cool completely.

• Use any kind of ice cream (“light” or low-fat ice cream is not suggested)
  • Get creative with add-ins!
  • Don’t have self-rising flour? Make your own using this simple equation: For each 1 cup of flour add 1½ teaspoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt
  • This would make a killer french toast!

Source: Adapted from Taste of Home

Ice Cream and self-rising flour: 2 INGREDIENT ICE CREAM BREAD!!!

108 Responses to “Cake Batter Ice Cream Bread”

Shawn — September 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

Delightful!

Voted…Good Luck :)
    My recent post Sweet Heat Acorn Squash

Blog New Blacxk — September 15, 2011 at 11:12 am

Amazing!!!! :)

@fakeginger — September 15, 2011 at 11:20 am

Oh my goodness, this is brilliant! And so pretty! (I think I have the same bundt pan but in a very light green!)
    My recent post Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Baker Street — September 15, 2011 at 11:32 am

That sounds beyond delicious! Must try it soon.
    My recent post Homemade Granola

Becki's Whole Life — September 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

I like that you call this bread and not cake – it gives us so many more options to spread things on it. I will definitely have to try this – I am always about new recipes and I haven't used my bundt pan in ages…love the sprinkles, too!
    My recent post Dorie’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Not Rachael Ray — September 15, 2011 at 11:44 am

Wow! This is genius. Love it!
    My recent post Lentil Salad with Grapes and Feta

Belinda @zomppa — September 15, 2011 at 11:47 am

Whoa – didn't even know this was possible.

Bake Your Day — September 15, 2011 at 11:50 am

This is too fun. I would totally make a PB and J sandwich out of this bread with no shame at all. this is brilliant!
    My recent post Tequila Mahi Mahi Fajitas

Erin @Dinners Dish.. — September 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm

This has been on must make for a couple weeks. I only have chocolate ice cream in my freezer though :( I am just going to have to give up and buy new ice cream!!
    My recent post Raspberry Fool

Lacy — September 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm

WOW!! This is one recipe that I will be making as soon as physically possible!! Sounds ridiculously good!

Lynne @ 365 Days — September 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I have to admit I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one, Katrina, but you haven't steered me wrong yet!
    I guess I'm just going to have to give it a go.
    It's reminding me of when Heinz came out with their green and purple ketchup when my kids were little.
    My son's going to love the sprinkles or jimmies as we call them!
    My recent post Day 210 – Artichoke Tomato Chicken

Parsley_Sage — September 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

You make me so proud :) Hell yeah, you had a peanie butter sammich with that bread! You go girl! Love hand friendly ice cream. Well done!

And your naughty cheesecake? Voted. Oh my, how I voted.
    My recent post Cimboco

Medeja — September 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm

It looks so cute!

Maranda — September 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Gorgeous! I love ice cream bread! Yours is freaking awesome! And I voted. Good luck!
    My recent post Apple Cinnamon Carrot Coconut Muffins

bigbearswife — September 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm

sweet lord, how do you come up with this amazing stuff! I can't wait to make Moose Tracks!!!!
    My recent post Parmesan Garlic Knots

Candace — September 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Looks interesting! I'll maybe have to give this one a try…I'm sure my kids will love it! And yes, I think making it into a PB&J sandwich would be AWESOME! I voted for you…good luck! P.S…I LOVE your site :)

Taking On Magazines — September 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I've seen this going around and HAVE to give it a try. Dudette loves the chocolate and peanut butter ice cream at our local ice cream place. I wonder how that would go over in the bread. I don't want to make her head hurt, after all. :) It's sounding like a lighter vanilla-type ice cream works better? I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting!
    My recent post Jacob's Apple-Honey Drumsticks from Food Network Magazine, September 2011

Beth Michelle — September 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I had to read this a couple of times to make sure I saw it right. Cake batter ice cream bread?!?! This is so amazing. Such a great idea and looks so pretty!!
    My recent post Dragon Fruit Layer Cake With Chocolate Frosting

Tina@flourtrader — September 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Lovely cake and so easy, yum! Also, I voted-have a great day!

Jihane@SinfulSunday — September 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm

You always have some of the most genius recipes. I need to try this and I will try it with a ton of other ice-creams! Ch'yea!

stephday — September 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Oh my goodness gracious!! I can't believe this only has three ingredients. It looks amazing!!

Stephanie — September 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I voted for you – good luck!!
    My recent post Melted Crayon Art Tutorial

Jocelyn — September 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Oh my!!!! Ice Cream bread??? Sign me up now!! I just pinned it and posted on my FB wall! This is a definite must try for me.

Julia — September 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm

OK, seriously?? I just died and went to heaven with this cake or bread, or whatever 'he' is.
    My recent post Red Velvet Cupcakes

Tracy — September 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Voted, Good luck!!!

Baked by Rachel — September 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Love how colorful it is! I've never had good luck with bundt pans though :(
    My recent post Special Cookies For A Special Friend

Desi — September 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I'll take a pb&j or nutella sandwich on this bread over plain white bread any day!! Oh, and I just voted for that delicious looking cheesecake of yours. It just looks so amazing. Love that drizzle.

Gillian — September 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Love the recipe! Question :how many cups is 1.5 quarts of the flour?

Mrs. Jen B — September 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Wait. What? I feel like this shouldn't be possible and yet here's the proof, right in front of me. Though I do feel as though I need to make it for myself, just to be sure. For science. You know. ;)
    My recent post Wellness Wednesday: Healthy, Sexy, Happy

Jamie — September 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Brilliant! Ice Cream in a bread. Definitely will make me feel a little better than just eating a bowl of ice cream. Wonder if it will work with dairy -free ice cream.

briarrose — September 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Most creative use of ice cream I've seen. ;)
    My recent post Apple Cinnamon Pockets

Erin — September 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

That is stinking amazing. Added it to my funfetti round up :-)
    My recent post Peanut Butter Hummus

Lauren @ KeepItSweet — September 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Um, hello most amazing bread ever!
    My recent post Ice Cream, Pizza, Cupcakes and Why My Pants are Tight

Sandra — September 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Love the recipe and I just voted for you.
    My recent post Triple Chocolate Cookies

caroline — September 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Two ingredients? Now that's my kind of bread! It's so festive…sounds great.

thesmartcookiecook — September 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard! So wrong, it's right! Looks beautiful and tasty (even if I can't quite wrap my mind around it…).

Warm Vanilla Sugar — September 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm

This is all kinds of wonderful!

happywhennothungry — September 16, 2011 at 12:49 am

What a creative recipe!! I've never heard of anything like this. It looks fabulous :-)

cara — September 16, 2011 at 2:06 am

You got my vote! And seriously, Ice Cream Bread?!?! I am going to have to try this!
    My recent post Emeril's Sizzling Skillets: Chicken Sauce Piquante

Holly — September 16, 2011 at 3:21 am

Katrina, you are my HERO girl!! I cannot wait to try this!!""

Susie — September 16, 2011 at 3:24 am

I have seen the post of people making the ice cream bread and I'm totally on board. I bought the ice cream but haven't gotten around to making it yet. It will be a must do for this weekend. Hopefully mine turns out as nice as yours :)
    My recent post Calamari – Kikkoman Kara-Age Review

cookinghealthyforme — September 16, 2011 at 3:58 am

I love it! Laugh at the world while you eat ice-cream with your hands! Brilliant post and FAB recipe! Heading off to vote for you now…because I LOVED that pie! I remember it well…

rumana — September 16, 2011 at 5:01 am

OMG!!!! what a lovely cake…

Sandra — September 16, 2011 at 6:07 am

Fantastic cake, love how colorful and happy it looks..
    Congrats on the better recipe..you just passed me:))) your cake do look amazing, you got this one for sure, I 'll catch up on the next weeks challenge:)))
    My recent post Blueberry Sweet Pizza Tart

Carolyn — September 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh, Katrina, this cake/bread/whatever looks insane! Off the HOOK! And yeah, your PB mousse thingy will definitely get my vote.
    My recent post Chocolate Ginger Scones (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Megan @ Pip and Ebby — September 16, 2011 at 6:14 pm

All I can say is, Oh my dear goodness! AMAZING! Yum! Please invite me over! :)
    My recent post Pecan-maple sticky rolls

Gourmantine — September 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Cake batter ice cream bread??!!!! Oh my god… I'm inspired! :)
    My recent post I’m back!

Erin — September 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Oh my holy heck! That's just amazing! I can't wait to try this. it sounds so unreal (and stinkin' delicious!!!
    My recent post I Think It's Time For A Giveaway!

Stacy — September 17, 2011 at 12:43 am

Ok. Shut. Up.
    That has got to be the best best BEST recipe EVER!!!! And guess what? I'm making it tomorrow. OR rather, I'm sure my daughters will be making it tomorrow. :) Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer@Jane Deere — September 17, 2011 at 1:53 am

I came across your blog on Tatertots & Jello and I love your post!

I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

Shabs — September 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm

The bread looks gorgeous , but I have to ask one thing what is a cake batter ice cream , is it just normal ice cream
    My recent post I am back and have been tagged

KatrinasKitchen — September 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Yep- it's just a normal ice cream flavor. :) I used a generic brand from Target.

nutmegnanny — September 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

You're killing me! Now I want to try this!!!
    My recent post Sweet Potato and Fig Muffins {The Homesick Texan Cookbook Spotlight & Cook-Off}

Lilly — September 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

Wow bread made out of ice cream!! I can only imagine how good that would tastes. You’ve got my vote. That peanut butter truffle mousse cheesecake looks like heaven on a plate!

kita — September 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Pure evil genius and you know it!!!

bakingserendipity — September 19, 2011 at 3:11 am

I have never seen this before, but I'm fairly certain I need it in my life. Yesterday. So much fun!

Eliot — September 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Eating ice cream with your hands? Does this count as molecular gastronomy? :)

Nami — September 20, 2011 at 7:06 am

I'm so sorry I didn't come in time to vote for your contest… next time I'll be sure to vote for you because I really love your sweets! Now this bread… really???? That's it? This has to be my kind of bread – simple and hopefully there is no place for me to screw up. =P
    My recent post Kabocha Pork Stir Fry

Jenna @ Newlyweds — September 20, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Love it Katrina, yours is super cute!!! Now the PB&J on the IC bread is genius!!!
    My recent post Pumpkin Enchiladas

Jen(CookiesCupcakes) — September 22, 2011 at 4:30 am

What a great "bread" idea! Yum!
    My recent post Wilton Cake Pan Unboxing Video

Sue — September 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Love the sound of this (ice cream!), love the look too! Time to "pin"! Your husband's ice cream idea sounds GREAT!
    My recent post Double Berry Swirl Pound~like Cake

thoma — September 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Oh am late but by now you would've won already!! my mind exploded too reading this and thank God my husband's been sleeping ;P
    My recent post Am Back!

Bakeaholicmama — September 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm

This recipe is just plain crazieness! It really is… and I can not wait to try it! Your a genius!

amy — October 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Just tried this today with Double Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream! OMG!!! already thinking of other flavors that we want to try next time!

Mys Garrett — October 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm

French toast anyone!!!????

Kiran — February 27, 2012 at 7:10 am

Aahhh! One of the most creative recipes out there!! What a brilliant use of ice cream :)

Dianna — March 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I just found this recipe today- I am thinking maybe mint chip for St Patrick's day? hmmm-m-m-

Connie Kiers — March 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

where can you buy Cake Batter Ice Cream? I've never heard of it. The bread looks good though.

KatrinasKitchen — March 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I bought mine at Target. It was their store brand (generic).

Hijack — March 27, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Tried it with gluten free flour and it turned out great!

nuroon — April 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

hi,

this is amazing!! im from the UK and am i being really dumb but what is cake batter ice cream??

thanks

Rebecca Stutzman — April 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

This was very dense with the kind of ice cream we used (cake batter). I should have added to the baking time by about 8 minutes, because it was underdone on the bottom, even though the toothpick came out clean. If I ever do this again, I will use a vanilla flavored ice cream only.

Rebecca — April 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Sorry, we actually used piece of cake ice cream.

veronica — May 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm

i LOVE this idea! could i make it in a different pan besides a bundt pan though?? baking time?

KatrinasKitchen — May 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Hi Veronica! I have the original recipe link from Taste of Home sourced under the title here. They have other loaf options and baking times (I did not try it other than in the Bundt). Good luck!

Amanda — June 27, 2012 at 2:36 am

This. Looks. Amazing. And yes, mind-blowing! Just found it on Pinterest, I haven't seen a recipe quite like this before. I just want to devour those slices of "bread." Must try soon!
    My recent post Simple Spray Paint Makeovers

Kathy — June 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Has anyone tried it with whole wheat pastry flour?

Sasha — July 2, 2012 at 12:52 am

Made this and it was awesome. Used chocolate ice cream…so delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Emily @ Life on Food — August 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Oh the possibilities. Love this cake and all things that can come from this recipe. Yum!
    My recent post Why use a cake mix?

Carley — August 30, 2012 at 2:42 am

This would make AMAZING french toast !!

shawn — May 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm

would a fruit flavored sherbet work with this ??

• Katrina Bahl — May 13th, 2013 @ 10:31 am

I have only tried this recipe with ice cream at this point. Let me know if you try sherbet!

Amanda — May 12, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I made this today with Rum Raisin ice cream, and it is absolutely fantastic! Thanks so much for this super simple recipe idea!!
    oh! also, I wanted to note, I had to use a regular bread pan when I made mine due to a lack of bundt pan. As reference to anyone else that might end up having to make it this way, it took about twice as long to bake.

Rachel — May 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

I made this over the weekend with Chocolate Almond Crunch. It turned out perfectly. It’s the wildest thing! in the middle of it, I thought, “What the heck is going on here? What is going to happen??” It was great.
    Have decided this will be my “go to” bread. People will *never* guess how it’s made! Can’t wait to try many, many more variations.
    Thanks for the great — and fun — recipe.

• Katrina Bahl — May 21st, 2013 @ 9:32 am

I’m so glad to hear it! I know it is a little bit of a stretch to wrap my brain around too. :) But it is delicious!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — May 20, 2013 at 11:05 am

AMAZING! I even have the self-rising flour! So excited:)

• Katrina Bahl — May 21st, 2013 @ 9:31 am

I love this bread- isn’t it fun? I hope your family enjoys it, Sue.

Rebecca @ Literary Spring Designs — July 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm

That looks interesting. I had never heard of ice-cream bread.

Michelle — July 17, 2013 at 1:56 am

I saw in the recipe and it says you can use any kind of ice cream. Does that mean any flavor or any brand? I would love to substitute butter pecan or cookies and cream ice cream for the cake batter flavor!

• Katrina Bahl — July 17th, 2013 @ 9:31 am

Yes- any flavor as long as it’s full fat (no sugar free or reduced fat). Enjoy!

J Pat Dyer — July 22, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Anything that had ice cream in it has to be good. My only question is; what kind of cold cuts do you suggest with it for sandwiches?

• Katrina Bahl — July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

Ha! Ummmmm I’m drawing a blank…

Theresa Hall — July 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Just made one with Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream…..not to bad! I think it’s a cross between cake and bread. It’s moist like a cake, but a consistency like bread.

Karen — August 4, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I made it this morning with birthday cake batter ice cream..was really pretty but to me it had no flavor…I would suggest some vanilla or almond extract.

joanne — May 3, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I am making this as I type. I did do one thing to change it up. I am using vanilla bean ice cream. But I added a packet of the frosting mix in flavor. I used cotton candy. Hope it comes out good.

Nadja — May 16, 2014 at 2:45 am

I’m a bit late for the party, but how much is 1.5 quart tub of cake batter ice cream? And: cake batter ice cream: is that regular ice cream?

would love to give this a try. Sounds so interesting.

xx
    Nadja from Holland

• Katrina Bahl — May 20th, 2014 @ 10:29 am

Yes there is a flavor of ice cream here called “cake batter.” Any flavor you love will do- just remember that this is not a sweet bread. And I’m not sure what measurements you need but there are plenty of online measurement conversion charts I’m sure you can find it no problem. Thanks for writing!

Nicole — August 6, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I can’t even. How does this even. I’m so excited to try this!

• Katrina Bahl — August 22nd, 2014 @ 10:13 am

Ha! My mind was blown too. :)

casey — August 7, 2014 at 2:11 am

sounds amazing. I’m thinking of trying it with sea-salt caramel ice cream. I wonder if this could be done with frozen yogurt as well.

• Katrina Bahl — August 22nd, 2014 @ 10:12 am

Hmm idk if it could be done with frozen yogurt.

Noelle — August 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Do you have to use a bundt pan? I don’t have one…

• Katrina Bahl — August 22nd, 2014 @ 10:11 am

The original recipe I linked to used a loaf pan. However the baking time will be different.

Tamika — August 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I made this for work today using Cookies & Cream ice cream. Everyone loved it.

• Katrina Bahl — August 22nd, 2014 @ 10:00 am

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. And ummm that sounds like the perfect ice cream to use!

Allison Freeman — August 18, 2014 at 1:04 am

I used Butter Pecan ice cream and walnuts instead of sprinkles. When it was done cooling, I drizzled butter pecan maple syrup over the top. It tastes like a pancake. YUM.

• Katrina Bahl — August 22nd, 2014 @ 9:47 am

Whoa! That sounds amazing! Thanks for letting me know. I’m so glad you enjoyed it.