Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

It all started out innocently enough. I bought these cute ice cream cookie cutters. After vacation I always find myself a little unmotivated to get back in the kitchen so I turned to something I can do in my sleep…make buttercream and cookies. However this time I wanted my ice cream-shaped cookies to taste like, well, ice cream of course. Oh my. OH MY! If you follow me on Twitter you may have seen this teaser:

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

All of the cookies/frostings were cute and tasted good but MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP BUTTERCREAM?!

My buttercream axiom has been altered. Forever.

This may seem a little dramatic to you but this is serious business. I had to make a second batch of frosting -only mint chocolate chip this time- just to face the pleading masses (my husband and Four Year Old Foodie).

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

Are you still reading this? I implore you to make yourself some. The end.

You can find my best sugar cookie and basic buttercream recipes already posted. {My sugar cookie recipe is my very very favorite because you don’t need to chill the dough before rolling!}

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

Here’s a little tip – I use a drum cheese grater to finely chop up my chocolate chips. Enjoy!

What would you do with this buttercream?

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting #Recipe from @KatrinasKitchen

Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Recipe

Total Time: 15 minutes

• 2 cups Basic Buttercream frosting (or store-bought)
  • ½ c finely chopped/grated chocolate chips
  • ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Green food coloring (if desired)

1. Prepare Basic Buttercream and add chocolate, mint, and food coloring.
  2. Try not to eat your weight in it.

77 Responses to “Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream”

Maris — August 23, 2011 at 12:16 am

What a fantastic treat! I don't blame your son!

lisamichele — August 23, 2011 at 12:28 am

MY BF is going nuts over this as I type. Huge mint cc ice cream glutton, errr…fan. Looks and sounds pretty, darn amazing!

Erin @Dinners Dish.. — August 23, 2011 at 12:46 am

Your cookies are amazing! So cute with the frosting! That frosting sounds incredible! Mint CC is my hubby's favorite ice cream, and he LOVES frosting – so this will be happening for sure, just a matter of time!

stephday — August 23, 2011 at 12:47 am

Ok, those are the cutest cookies!! And I think I can just eat that buttercream with a spoon it looks so good!
    My recent post Baked Sweet Potato Chips

Parsley_Sage — August 23, 2011 at 12:50 am

OH.MY.GOD.

You've just given me diabetes.

I MUST MAKE THESE!

KatrinasKitchen — August 23, 2011 at 12:54 am

Hee hee! Sorry!

amanda @ fake ginger — August 23, 2011 at 12:58 am

oh my goodness, those are adorable. I think you should send me cookies. For the baby of course.

Kelly — August 23, 2011 at 1:42 am

These are all so cute Katrina!! Love this! :)

KimBee_Cravings — August 23, 2011 at 1:50 am

Will you adopt me? Please?

Sue — August 23, 2011 at 2:11 am

I actually have some unfrosted ice cream cone sugar cookies in the freezer! Thanks for the inspiration. I need to get to work! Such cute cookies, Katrina!

Anne — August 23, 2011 at 2:12 am

Katrina! What a creative use of buttercream! I love the ice cream cone shaped cookies! Can you just imagine all the possibilities of "ice cream flavor". Brilliant! : )

Lindselicious — August 23, 2011 at 2:16 am

I just died. These are tooo CUTE! I love love love it! Awesome job Katrina!

Erin — August 23, 2011 at 2:29 am

Oh my heck! This looks wonderful!!! Can't wait to make it (and eat it all up!!!)

Bake Your Day — August 23, 2011 at 2:47 am

I had to peel my jaw off of my keyboard to type this. Oh. My. Goodness, Katrina this is perfect! We love mint chocolate chip ice cream, I can imagine the buttercream would be awesome too. Ps – I have made your sugar cookies and they are where it's at. I love the little cookie cups you made!

cookinghealthyforme — August 23, 2011 at 2:47 am

What a clever idea! They look amazing and I love your flavor combination! Just so you know Kim at Cravings of a Lunatic sent me over!

kitchenarian — August 23, 2011 at 3:05 am

I really want some of those cookies but if all you have left is the icing, I'll just eat that! The cookies are adorable Katrina.

janet — August 23, 2011 at 3:07 am

These are so cute!!! One of my favorite ice cream flavors in frosting form? Yes please.

Sandra — August 23, 2011 at 3:43 am

You are so creative Katrina, these are Wowww kind of reaction!! You did amazing, and incredible job!!!
    My recent post Risotto with Angel Hair Pasta, Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Ribs

Lori — August 23, 2011 at 3:51 am

I am drooling just looking at those fabulous pictures!! I can completely understand why you had to make a second batch of that icing! Perhaps you can use it as a barganing chip for chores….hee hee…cheaper than allowances these days!

bakingserendipity — August 23, 2011 at 4:21 am

Between the cookie cutters and the mint frosting, you've totally stolen my heart :) I love this! Also, I love making my own frosting just so I can slather it on…exactly everything! Adding this to the recipe lists for sure!

Elies_Lie — August 23, 2011 at 5:05 am

All of them are amazing!
    Loves ur recipe & photo! ;)

Carolyn — August 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

Love, love, love. The cookies are adorable, and I can see how it would be a slippery slope into spooning it out of the jar once you'd made this buttercream!

Julia — August 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm

mmmmm, mint chocolate chip buttercream. Would it be so wrong if I swirled the frosting IN ice cream too? This looks so stinken good I might even spread it on toast for breakfast.

Lauren @ KeepItSweet — August 23, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I love your little cutout cookies with the frosting on them and I adore this frosting! Sounds so delicious.

Kate — August 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm

How could I not eat my weight in that luscious buttercream! Wowza…. you are so going to be the next Bakeralla. They are absolutely stunning Katrina! Cheers, Kate
    My recent post Sandollar Almond Cookies

Mal @ The Chic Geek — August 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm

The ice cream cone shaped cookies are adorable, but the cookie cups of frosting? Amazing! This looks so good.
    My recent post Hinge Heads

Cara — August 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm

yum! I feel like you've made this just for me, since it's my birthday and I *love* mint chocolate chip!

Charlie — August 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm

these are so cute!

By the way the sundae in the middle would look so cool as a lady with a fancy hair do.

Megan @ Pip and Ebby — August 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

These are all BEAUTIFUL! I could just jump right into my monitor right now. I love how you baked up some cookie cups to "house" the frosting. Love it!! Well done..
    My recent post Our KODAK photo book

asian recipes — August 23, 2011 at 2:01 pm

What a cute recipe!! I saw your recipe and immediately went to try it. :)

RavieNomNoms — August 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!! This is like my heaven!!! I love mint and chocolate together and you made it a buttercream…holy deliciousness!

best salad recipes — August 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

That looks insanely delicious. Insane in the most wonderful way!

My recent post Caesar Salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

chocolate recipes — August 23, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Looks so yummy and delicious! will definitely try this, thanks for sharing this wonderful creation!
    My recent post Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

Eftychia — August 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm

All recipes look delicious! Bravo Katrina!

Baked by Rachel — August 23, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Sounds fantastic!! And they look freaking adorable. We must be on the same foodie brain page because weeks ago I'd contemplated cookie cups and again today I was thinking about them but just now saw your post! Crazy. I want some frosting – dipping with cookies or cookies coated sounds perfect! :)

Mari's Cakes — August 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Katrina, this does look delicious! Mint and chocolate, I love that combination. The decorated cookies look fantastic.

KimBee_Cravings — August 23, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I keep coming back to look at this. Gonna share it again. It's just so pretty.

Alida — August 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Love! This looks amazing. I could definitely go for one of those cookie cups filled with this frosting right now. Mmm…:)
    My recent post Ravioli with Roasted Zucchini

caroline — August 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Pretty sure I'd lick that entire bowl clean–sounds as amazing as you described! Those cookies are adorable, too.

Christina — August 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I'd swim in it. I'm mint obsessed. If I make this I'm going to weigh 500 pounds!
    My recent post One-Pot Southwestern Chicken and Rice

Ana Lourdes FD — August 23, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I love it!

What's for dessert? — August 23, 2011 at 7:00 pm

So cute! Great idea!

Jennifer — August 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Haha, what happened next?! (wink)

Riat D K Simmons — August 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Those look amazing Katrina and your pictures are beautiful. Bravo!

Kate@Diethood.com — August 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Woman, you are genius!!

blackbookkitchendiaries — August 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm

omg! that is just too cute!! i love it:) can i please come over ?

freshandfoodie — August 24, 2011 at 1:51 am

Yummy! Although the cups of frosting would've been too much for my sweet tooth to handle…unfortunately. :)

Roxana GreenGirl — August 24, 2011 at 1:52 am

if hubby sees this buttercream I'm in big trouble. His favorite flavor is mint chocolate!!

I want some of those cookie cutters!! They are so cute!!!

Shay — August 24, 2011 at 2:18 am

Adorable! Love it!

Meghan — August 24, 2011 at 2:33 am

Buttercream is one of my basic food groups!! These cookies are absolutely adorable :)
    My recent post S'mores Got Sass

kita — August 24, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I avoided this post fora few days now in my inbox because I knew the danger it would be once I clicked on it. I stumbled blindly, buzzed without peeking but here I am now…. and I just dripped drool on my keyboard.

ChocolatePriestess — August 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm

We all eat frosting straight but at least you tried it on different things. I need to start making more frostings because I can't find any without transfats… sad because often I'm so busy but I have to think about what I feed my family and guests with so many of our birthdays right in a row.

Chrissy — August 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I LOVE mint chip ice cream, so this buttercream sounds amazzzzing!! Those cookies are so cute!

Charissa — August 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Oh wow! This is a drool worthy post.

I love how you decorated the cookies at the top! You're so artsy!

sweetsugarbelle — August 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm

YOU DID!!!! I love them! sorry I have neglected you…Ive been having a pity party about my poor blog, LOL! But I REALLT really do love these!

Elyse-Cultural Dish — August 25, 2011 at 1:45 am

I love how you ended up just eating out of the bowl… that is definitely what I would have done! You have convinced me to save this and give it a try – I'm excited!

Christina — August 25, 2011 at 1:46 am

Am I dreaming? Mint chocolate chip buttercream? :) That sounds fabulous! I have to give you credit for having the frosting make it onto those adorable cookies….I would have just eaten all the frosting! LOL :)

briarrose — August 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Cutest little cookies ever!

Ok….I would dive right into the mint chocolate chip buttercream. I can see why a second batch was demanded. ;)

Evan @swEEts — August 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I really really like the sound of this buttercream! I need an excuse to make a cake or some cookies to go with it now!
    My recent post Banana-Coconut Oat Bread

Rachel — August 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Those cookies might actually be the cutest thing ever! I never thought to make mint buttercream, but it's so obviously awesome! Thanks for the idea!
    My recent post Girls Day in Atlantic City

Luciana — August 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Lovely cookies!
    My recent post Chicken and Bell Peppers Weave

pam — August 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

this sounds yummy! did you use the vanilla and almond extracts as well?

KatrinasKitchen — August 25, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You know – I did on the first batch because I was making it up as I went and I also needed the chocolate and strawberry for the other 2 cookies. But on the second batch where I made only mint chocolate chip I left the almond out. I still put in the vanilla out of habit. Either way you want the mint to shine.

The Harried Cook — August 26, 2011 at 4:38 am

Mint Chocolate Chip is one of my top ice cream flavors, and I am sure I would LOVE this frosting! Looks delicious… I would be eating it with a spoon… Great post!

Aggie — August 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm

How fun are these cookies! And that cookie cup…holy yum. Such a cute post, made me smile :)

Ama — August 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Hahaha, nice post! The buttercream looks amazing, I'll have to give it a try.

Ryan — August 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Oh my word, these are adorable!!! That buttercream is calling my name and those ice cream cone cookies are perfection! Love it!
    My recent post Peach Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake

Deborah — August 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Yes – you've sold me!! Can't wait to make some of this!!
    My recent post Saturdays with Rachael Ray – Grilled Roasted Red Peppers Stuffed with Cheese

nutmegnanny — August 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Oh my….I'm in heaven! This frosting looks amazing!!!

Julie — August 29, 2011 at 3:00 am

What a fun way to flavor buttercream! I'm a lover of mint chocolate chip ice cream…AND I have some sugar cookie dough in the fridge just waiting to be baked & frosted :)
    You've got such great recipes!
    My recent post Nectarine Oatmeal Coffee Cake with Brown sugar Topping

paddleattachment — August 31, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Wow! This frosting looks fantastic. I can almost taste the mint chocolate-chip flavors from the pics alone. Congrats on your new discovery – and thanks for sharing with all of us!

DessertForTwo — August 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm

What a great idea!!

BigFatBaker — September 3, 2011 at 1:50 am

Oh YUM! What a good idea… I can see how addictive this can be too. Imagine if you froze this?! We're getting in the danger zone here…

I can't' wait to make some for my next batch of cookies :)
    My recent post Blueberry Pie

alison — September 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I wanted to lick the screen because they looked so good. I am going to add that to the list of things that I need to make. My cousin's favorite is mint choc chip and I have never had a good use for the cheese grater so I have to make these for her birthday. I am going to get peppermint extract NOW!!!! Thanks for the great idea :)

KatrinasKitchen — September 9, 2011 at 1:28 am

Ahh this cracked me up :) Let me know what you think. I promise…it's good!!!

bigbearswife — September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I love the back that I was just thinking about your blog, and hit my "Stumble" button and you popped up!! I also LOVE the fact that this buttercream looks JUST like ice cream!
    My recent post Creamy Corn Chowder

JpB — June 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Katrina- Seriously?! Where did you come up with or find this recipe?! It is to die for. I'm having trouble finishing making it without eating it. I don't care for peppermint so I used Watkins brand Mint extract and I have to tell you- if I close my eyes I could be eating warm mint chocolate chip ice cream. Thanks so much!