Jelly Bean Cookies

Jelly Bean Cookies from @KatrinasKitchen at www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

Easy there Mr. Bunny! Okay, you are going to have to trust me on this one- these are tasty! In my last post I mentioned that I had extra dough leftover. Well, I also had extra jelly beans and I knew that if I let the jelly beans hang around Four Year Old Foodie would pester ask me for a handful every 20 minutes.

So was born The Jelly Bean Cookie!

Jelly Bean Cookies from @KatrinasKitchen at www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

Isn’t it festive? And it really couldn’t be easier! It’s as simple as making your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough and swapping jelly beans for the chocolate chips. You can get the recipe I used from my Easter Egg Hunt Cookies.

If you are making these I suggest using my cookie recipe (linked above). It uses shortening instead of butter which helps the cookies keep their shape. Also, my dough was chilled (about 20 minutes).

The result is a fruity, chewy cookie that is pretty to look at. Four Year Old Foodie was excited to show Daddy when he got home from work and my husband gave me a look that said, “I don’t like jelly beans.” But when I woke up the next morning guess what I found in the sink…an empty cookie jar. Success? Yes!

Jelly Bean Cookies from @KatrinasKitchen at www.inkatrinaskitchen.com

46 Responses to “Jelly Bean Cookies”

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — March 25, 2011 at 7:00 am

These are so cute, Katrina! Great cookies. Perfect for Easter! :)

Sprinzette @ Ginger and Almonds — March 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

Crazy! I’ve gotta say I’m a jelly bean addict–anything small and sugary really—so these look like such fun. All your baking is so gorgeous.

Medeja — March 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

They would look really great for Easter! Great idea

Shawn — March 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I’m adding jelly beans to my shopping list :)

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — March 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Now I’ve seen it all, jelly beans in cookies and another food blog had peeps stuffed in brownies. What could we do with Cadbury eggs?

Krissyp — March 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

So cute Katrina! The kids would love these too, ofcourse I’m a tropical jelly bean fanatic and I think the coconut flavored beans with that buttery cookie dough would be delicous! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I bet kids would go crazy over these. They’re totally making me laugh though – I mean who would think to put jelly beans in cookies? And I’m honestly surprised they didn’t get gooey or melt somehow while cooking. Cute! :)

Julie M. — March 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Would you believe my mother-in-law gives us 10 pounds of jelly beans every Easter?? It takes me all year to get through them and then some. Now I’ve got a recipe to help with the cause! These looks awesome, I’m thinking I’ll cook a batch up for my 5 years old’s snack day next week. Thanks for the recipe!

Belinda @zomppa — March 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm

These are so happy!! Guess it is almost Easter – what a great treat. I’d go crazy over these!

Brandie — March 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm

You come up with the best ideas. I have bookmarked so many..lol. And those cadbury egg cookies…aggghh – they are calling my name so bad right now!

Happy When Not Hungry — March 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm

These look so cute and perfect for Easter! Definitely need to make. Thanks!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — March 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Such a fun Easter treat, I’ll be sharing these with my three year old nephew soon! :)

RavieNomNoms — March 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm

What a great idea for Easter! I love the Easter ideas that end up coming around whenever the holiday arrives. These are so cute and festive!

Sandra — March 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I need to get some Jelly beans..I rarely buy them because I can’t stop eating once I know they are somewhere in the kitchen LOL!!!
    These cookies would be awesome for my daughter’s class..Thanks for sharing, I am totally drooling!:)))

Hester Casey - Alchemy — March 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm

These cookies are so pretty and colourful. My husband loves jelly beans so these will disappear pretty fast.

Lauren — March 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Oh I love this idea. What a fantastic way to use extra Jelly Beans

Mari — March 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I have never taste it, but it surely looks yummy!! My daughters will love this recipe!

Have a great weekend :)

Andrea @ strawberry-chic — March 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Great idea to re-mix leftovers! I always seem to have leftover cookie dough (especially since a lot of the time I end up making a whole batch of cookies that only my husband and I end up eating!)

Christina — March 25, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I thought about doing this but was worried about the taste. I’m glad you did the research for me! Cute!

Erin — March 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm

These are great too! Thanks for the nice compliment! I found you through Tidy Mom and I’m so glad I did. You have a great blog! (And I’ma new folower!) =o) Can’t wait to try out (a ton of) your creations!

spontaneous-euphoria — March 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Adorable!

Carolyn — March 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I have to say, I’ve never been a huge jelly bean fan, so if you were going to get me to eat them, in a cookie would be the best way!

briarrose — March 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I have never seen this tried….now I’m going to be stalking the jelly beans at the store. ;) part of me wonders how well they would work in a quick bread lol. ;)

Lisa — March 26, 2011 at 1:23 am

Those cookies look so cool. Sounds like a great idea for using up leftover candy when Easter is over. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Kate @ Diethood.com — March 26, 2011 at 3:51 am

Oh my goodies!! This is awesome .. I love jelly beans!! Ronald Reagan is flippin’ in his grave wishing that your cookies were featured in the 1980s edition of Food Blogs. ;-)
    Amazing job, Katrina!

Firefly@fireflyblog.org — March 26, 2011 at 7:42 am

They look adorable and so yummy! I’m making your Easter Egg Hunt cookies tomorrow :) can’t wait to try them :)

Wendy — March 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm

How CUTE…and imaginative! I’m thinking up a few Easter goodies myself, but have to figure out how to share the calories. Casa Garcia consists of me, hubby, and Lucy-cat. And she’s not much help in the dessert-eating department!!

Becky — March 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm

These are so cute! I never thought to add jelly Beans to cupcakes. Your are so creative! Lucky hubby and 4 year old foodie!

Katrina — March 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Ha ha! Wendy- I send them out the door! Hubby’s coworkers LOVE him! :D

I’m glad you all like this idea. It was fun and I want to make another batch soon. Let me know if you make them! ♥-K

Susi's Kochen und Backen — March 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

These cookies look very kid friendly! What a cute idea for Easter :o)

Terra — March 27, 2011 at 1:45 am

Well this is just the cutest idea! My favorite dough, and a delicious candy, all wrapped in one, YUM!!!
    Take care,
    Terra

Sue — March 27, 2011 at 6:42 am

What a great idea! Great blog! I’ve been looking around and love everything! Have a great Sunday from your newest follower:)

Kankana — March 27, 2011 at 8:05 am

how creative was that !! a great way to finish the dough:)

sweetpeaskitchen.com — March 27, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Mmmm…jelly beans are sooo yummy! I bet these cookies are delicious! :)

Simply Life — March 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I wish I could grab one of those cookies!

Fresh and Foodie — March 28, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Why have I never thought of this?! I love jelly beans! Great idea.

Christi @ Love From The Oven — March 29, 2011 at 3:58 am

I’m laughing that we both made the krispy treats! We certainly have very similar cooking styles/tastes. I think the theme being FUN! :) Going to pick up stuff for the Cadbury recipe tomorrow if I can (my little one is sick with a double ear infection so not sure if we’ll get out – does Cadbury deliver?????). Have a great night! :)

cakewhiz — March 30, 2011 at 6:33 am

oh how smart of you to switch chocolate chips with jelly beans…they make your cookies look so colorful and perfect for easter!

SuzyEats — March 31, 2011 at 1:35 pm

How creative! these are perfect for Easter :-)

Tammy — March 31, 2011 at 11:43 pm

How festive and cute! Love it!

xx,
    Tammy

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — April 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

How did I miss these adorable cookies?! They are just too cute and how creative. I’m going to try these out. I’m a jelly bean fanatic. :)

kitchenmorph — April 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

wuyeeee! are you always buzzing with ideas?? wonderful and i like the cookie recipe…though i dunno wht’s crisco.

Emily @ eat.drink.run. — April 21, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I made these last night! They are so good – what a great idea! However mine don’t look anything like yours…all of my jelly beans seem to have sunk to the bottom of the cookie, so you can’t see all of the bright colors on top.

amanda @ fake ginger — April 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Love these! I know my 4 year old would love them too!

sallysbakingaddiction.com — February 28, 2012 at 6:00 pm

these are too freakin’ cute! i’ve never seen jellybeans in a cookie before. and i loooooove jellybeans. :)

Laura — April 24, 2012 at 1:39 am

Thanks for this great idea! My office is having “jelly bean day” and I wanted to do something a little more creative than bringing in a bag of jelly beans.